New ORA Acropora Acclimation

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I'm getting my first Acro tomorrow, and I am trying to figure out the best way to acclimate. I have been reading a lot about an iodine dip, anyone had issues with red bugs or nudis hitch hiking?

Dip any new coral that goes in your tank. I use Lugol's Solution and then there is Coral Rx and maybe one or two others out there. Then put in your tank, maybe on the sand bed and then start moving it up each day. Some people just stick it wherever they think they want the final position to be right away. Either way, just watch it and see how it does. Don't be afraid to move it if you think it's not happy. Generally Acros like moderate to high light and moderate to high flow. You just don't want to shock it or burn it if your lights are too strong. You could also put it where you want the final position to be and then run a reduced lighting schedule for a week, bumping it up a bit each day. Radions have this feature built in now.

Can I use any kind of iodine? My issue is I don't have an LFS around and I didn't read about the iodine dip until now. I can't get iodine in time...

Back