New tank setup questions

surfsca

Reefing newb
First off I was wondering if I can have a air pump/stone in a reef aquarium (just for decoration). Second is to do with my light my tank is 30" long 18" wide and 25" high and is 56 gallon. This light was recommended to me Odyssea Metal Halide System its the 30" 346W Metal Halide System Advance Plus. It looks like a good light but there is a black thin plastic bar that divides the middle of my aquarium. Does anyone know if that makes it not compatible with that light?

I wouldn't use an air stone, it will mess with your pH levels as well as create a ton of salt creep.

You may have 2 issues with that light, first being that the center bar will create a shadow effect in your tank by blocking light. Also, it's possible that the light can get hot enough to actually start melting that middle brace of the tank.

I wouldn't use an air stone, it will mess with your pH levels as well as create a ton of salt creep.

You may have 2 issues with that light, first being that the center bar will create a shadow effect in your tank by blocking light. Also, it's possible that the light can get hot enough to actually start melting that middle brace of the tank.

I have the same type of brace and wondered about it blocking light (I have T5s). Should I just try not to put corals under that area of the tank? I don't see a shadow. Do some people remove that brace and use some clear plastic instead? (if it's even possible)

I have the same type of brace and wondered about it blocking light (I have T5s). Should I just try not to put corals under that area of the tank? I don't see a shadow. Do some people remove that brace and use some clear plastic instead? (if it's even possible)

You're not running the same lights as the OP so you won't have the same problem. The light he linked to has an MH bulb directly above the brace which will block out a lot of light bu your fixture has T5 bulbs running the length of your tank which spreads it out even underneath that brace.

Back