New to saltwater aquariums and LR

Source of bio filtration

• wet dry

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • bio wheels

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Welcome to the forum Shaynep. If cost is an issue keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay for equipment, you'll end up saving a lot of $$. I'd get a mandarin goby and just keep him in a 10gal. but they're difficult to keep because they'll only eat live copepods. Anyway, good luck with your tank send us some pics when you get it goin.

Welcome to the forum Shaynep. If cost is an issue keep an eye out on Craigslist and eBay for equipment, you'll end up saving a lot of $$. I'd get a mandarin goby and just keep him in a 10gal. but they're difficult to keep because they'll only eat live copepods. Anyway, good luck with your tank send us some pics when you get it goin.
i dont think he should get a mandarin because the mandarin willl eat the pod population faster then it can reproduce in a system this small

what do you mean, equipment wise? i have a wet dry, chaeto filled refugium, a coralife protein skimmer, nova extreme pro lighting fixture, three koralia # 4's (only one is on at the moment) and two vortech MP40W's

Shaynep,

Setup your 55g.
You can set it up on the lighter side and build it up as you earn more money.

Remember, marine aquaria is NOT cheap.
Plan on spending some significant money to maintain your tank regardless of size.

The bigger tank will be much easier for you than trying a 10g tank.

Start with the basics and add as you can.

Just my two cents.

Welcome to the site Shaynep.
I have to agree with Messiah on this one.Set that 55 up.Just use dry aragonite sand ( its cheaper),90% lace rock.Added a couple of pounds of live rock to help seed the lace rock and sand.
You dont have to completely fill the tank with life and blow $1000 just to start.Actually,being on a tight budget will probably give THE best shot at an awsome marine system that you'll ever get.It'll force you think about each purchase on equipment and livestock.So you'll research it more and make the best decision for your tank.

Back