New to Saltwater

Meow that you got rock from your LFS,you probably got some rock that was cured.Meow if thats the case,you meow not see any spike in parameters.

Ok, sounds good, Is there anyone on here that could make a suggestions for some lighting. I want to have some soft corals and the like down the road, and need to know about lighting. I have only a single bulb lamp now and do not know if the sell a replacement hood that I will be able to get the lighting I need or if I may need to engineer something :). Any ideas as to,
1. How many bulbs for corals, soft and hard and for other inverts
2.What type of bulbs
3. And who is going to give me a million dollars cause the love me....:mrgreen::twocents:

Ok so a few weeks into this now, live rock is in the tank. I tired the scrubbing with a toothbrush that was suggested to spread/seed the other rock... still no growth anywhere else....unsure as to where to go from here....there seems to be nothing going on at all.....When doing water changes, do you add any salt? or no?:question: And as far as my other steps from here where should I go from here.

Have you been testing your water? Your water needs to be doing well for coraline to grow (i.e. Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all at 0, Ph 8.2-8.6, and Salt 1.024).

Are you changing your tank water for Freshwater? :shock: If so then yes, you do need to be adding salt, but if you are getting saltwater from your LFS, then typically, no, you do not need to add anything, but you should be test your water to see what you need to add if anything.

Also, do you use a UV filter? If so, turn if off for a few days, especially if you don't have fish, as that UV light can kill the coraline that is in your water.

Lastly, when you say it's been a few weeks...since when? A few weeks since you put water in the tank? When did you scrub the rock with the toothbrush? You should wait till your tank is done cycling before using the toothbrush, and even after you've scrubbed the coraline off the rock and your water parameters has been perfect; the coraline is still going to take some time before it is going "cover" you rock...you'll start with a few spots, but it will take time to spread from there.

Have you been measuring your salinity with a hydrometer or refractometer? If no, you should be.

Whenever you remove saltwater from the tank (like in a water change), you need to replace it with saltwater. When water evaporates from the tank during the day and the levels drop, you should only add freshwater to top it off. When water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind.

Ok well to answer the questions I have been mixing saltwater from salt(obviously).and R0 water to match my sailinity. I know that a Refractometer is the better of two but have yet to order one as my LFS didn't have one..plan on it sometime in the nest few days, have been using a hydrometer. Everything since my goofup using tap water to start has been fixed and I am now using RO for water changes and the like. Any ideas for a good brand in refractometers, as there are so many brands, also a good test kit. I have been taking the water to my lfs to get tested. How often should I be doing water changes? My tank has been up and running for 3 weeks now and the fish are doing excellent and no spike yet... Not sure if the live rock saved me like someone mentioned it might...I need to get some pics lol I may do that tonight...thinking of getting some more live rock...I really should have weighed it out to get the ratio right, I can get 30 lbs from a fellow who is getting out of the hobby for 50.00 clean and cured may take a look and I think that would get my cycle going much better and give me the right ratio for my water to LR ratio...I donno when I post let me know if I should add more....I may even jsut replace the dead rock with more live stuff if the ammount is about right...anyhoo, what size octopus skimmer, got the money to order that as well, and I have a 35 gal hex so I was wrong on the size before...opps lol

Ok here are some pics, The blue blurs are the fish, curious lil guys, like the camera, or the are planning thier revenge...:mrgreen: I also have like a wierd haze on my rocks, not on all just a few, i donno if its just the rocks or if something is growing. I do also see a couple red and green spots on a few rocks veeeery small but there.I would get more done but I am so pooped after working 12-13 hour days I dont feel like taking pics at night lol. Being an oil field worker will do that to you, but hey money is greeeeat, once oilfield trash, always oilfield trash... or sow the saying goes haha.:^:

oh and BTW, some of the live rock I bought is a little burried, I put one piece on top, wasnt sure which way was the best...

Attachments

• 100_1473.JPG
    100_1473.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_1474.JPG
    100_1474.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_1476.JPG
    100_1476.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 206
JBJ C-Scope Refractometer with ATC [JBJ-CS] - $39.99 : Fishy Business <---I've got one of these (paid $60 for it :grumble:) and it works well

As for the live rock, it looks like you might be ok on quantity, my only suggestion would be to re-arrange the stack a little bit; try to keep it off the side glass. I can't really see all to well from the photo, but it looks like you are stacked against the sides and the rear glass...if against any piece of glass, it should be against the back, even though I have read that you should still leave a little room against the back too. If you can go a little higher by moving those pieces off the side, you should be ok.

Also, if your tank doesn't cycle with the fish that you have in there already, don't force another one; just count your blessings.

Lastly, if you've got little colored spots showing up on the rocks as you have said, :bounce: you're golden, the coraline is growing and your tank is in good shape. There's no more need to "promote" the coraline spread, it'll slowly grow on its own from here on out.

:bounce: excitement! The sides are touching, the rear is actually 100% independent....so I will stack the rock a bit higher and remove the sides a bit to get em off the glass.And Im confuse, I dont plan on adding any more fish anytime soon, unsure of what you ment, the 3 that are in there are all that will be in there till it is stable and ready for more.... Also I need some lights, any suggestions, as well as mounting options, dont wanna hang....:grumble: Whoop two top pieces in the back are touching.....they will get moved lol

Last edited:
I was just about to mention the lights. What do you have now? If your lighting isn't strong enough then there won't be much growth going on.

CastorTroy2150;235307How often should I be doing water changes?...anyhoo said:
Water changes: 10% once a week, but that's just a general rule, if you check your water once a week, you will see whether or not you actually need to do a water change; if you're nitrates are high you may end up doing a 15% or higher, if everything is fine, and you don't have any coral, then you don't have to do a water change necessarily.

As for the skimmer, the sizes are normally rated upon tank volume, so it will say if it is good enough for your tank; however, if you plan to upgrade your tank at some point in the not so distant future, then getting one rated for a bigger tank (i.e. the size you planning for) wouldn't be the worst idea.

Im confuse, I dont plan on adding any more fish anytime soon, unsure of what you ment, the 3 that are in there are all that will be in there till it is stable and ready for more....

Sorry, I must have mis-read somewhere that you said you were going to try and initiate a cycle because your parameters hadn't spiked yet. :12: ...nevermind

Also I need some lights, any suggestions, as well as mounting options, dont wanna hang....:grumble: Whoop two top pieces in the back are touching.....they will get moved lol

If you don't want to hang your lights and are pretty handy/have your own tools, then you could actually make your own custom canopy for your tank and hang a 250W MH (should be plenty for your tank) inside the canopy. If you need some help, I've actually been planning on making one for my 55 for a while. The hex will make things a little more annoying, but if you have a miter-saw it won't be too bad.

If rock is touching the glass at the top, that's fine, you just want some room on the bottom that could be blown out from time to time so nothing crawls back there, dies, and is impossible to get out

Kids got you covered.
Since you already have fish in there,dont push a cycle.At 3 weeks,your really not outta the woods on that just yet.
When you restack the rock,make sure its stable enough that its not gonna fall and bust the glass.

OK, so most of my rock have 5-6 pencil eraser sized marks on them:^:, pink in color and they seem to be growing larger and more appreaing. Is this the coraline spreading, they are rosey rash looking marks, as if I smudged some red magic marker on them and tried to wipe it off resulting in a faded pink.....
My light is the light that came with the tank, factory light, not sure the specs, the prev. owner bout another bulb Ill get the info off that an post it....

Back