New With Some quesions

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Hey everyone, my name is tyron and im from columbia, sc. Ive been researching saltwater tanks for a while and decided to join this forum. hope you guys can help me with any questions,comments, or concerns that i may come up with.....

well with that being said
1) i have a friend with a saltwater tank(29 gal) and he has two damsels (3 striped) one of the damsels is kinda turning a purpleish color in his white stripes. Is this fish sick or has anyone ever heard of this?

2) im planning to begin my saltwater tank. It will be a 55 gallon. I absolutely consider this a hobbie thats why i chose a larger tank. Meaning i can take my time with it and grow it as i see fit. Not really rushing it you know. So, anyone knows about good products i might be able to use thats suitable for a 55 gall tank?? please let me know

3) does anyone use black livesand (i think its called tahitian something) instead of the average white livesand?

**am i the only one obssesed with these fishtanks or are you all too...lol??**

Last edited:
Trust me I am obsessed with my tank. I cant really help ya with any of the questions. I have a 24 gal as of right now. Ive never heard of the black sand.

Oh and become very patient with this hobby.
Welcome to the forums!

I would look into T-5 lighting look at the Nova Extreme Pro, Tek, and Aquatinics lights.

Look for a Octupus or Coralife Super Skimmer

is your tank drilled or are you going to get in drilled? I would look into adding a sump/refugium which will make your system much more stable.

Also look at getting between 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon, I personally like close to 2 lbs per gallon

Chemi-Pure is some great carbon I would also run some phosphate remover such as PhosBan or drfostersmiths brand which is what I use

never used the black I like the white live sand it's great

I would also recommend ordering your stuff from Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products: Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies and I have heard Premium Aquatics INC - live rock and aquarium supply is good too.

Everyones obsessed as you'll soon find out :)

Also look into getting all the supplements you'll need and test kits, I use Seachem and Kent Marine Supplements but there are many. I use Calcium,Carbonate, Iodine, Strontium and Molybenium, and Reef Complete.

For food I would get mysis shrimp and rod's food, which Selcon to enhance the mysis. (this is when you get fish after your cycle)

Also make sure you understand the cycle process that your tank has to go through, the live sand and rock will start this.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!

UWW has you pretty well covered. I've seen black sand before, but I'm not sure if it has the buffering capacity that aragonite (white or pink) sand has, which is important in a saltwater tank.

Lots of times fish will change colors. As long as the fish is eating and acting normal, I wouldn't worry. If you start to see white or black spots or blotches, that could be disease though.

One of my friends mixed blacksand with whitesand. It looks good, but the black sand does not buffer at all. You should only mix it in the top inch or so

Back