New with some questions (photos too)

Where do you find bubbles in the ocean?
The surf zone? Sure.
The water surface with the waves breaking?Yep.
Now look at where 99.9% of the fish and corals live.Yeah,A small percentage lives in the surf zones.But very few when compared to what lives at 30ft and deeper.
Also take a look through the showcase forums and see how many tanks have airstones or other bubble devices.Tanks that should be death traps by what your saying about bubbles.

You_just_got_pwned.jpg

WTF is this? PWNED means?

Lol that still doesn't argue with my point about what the experts say so I think I'll take my chances with these "death traps" :death: And I love this whole thing about micro bubbles, what do they look like? Oh those little tiny bubbles not those aren't micro bubbles because micro bubbles are less than 50 microns in diameter that's 50 * 10^-6 m, meaning you can't see them. Anyways I'm already convinced by what people like Gregory Skomal PhD have said about the issue so thanks.

I hope no one scuba dives here cause you might kill some fish.

So what do you think of any of these:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/for/1345325478.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/for/1352668213.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/for/1316814458.html

for the live rock I mean. Not all of them are simply live rock but I'm sure some may be willing to part out.

Last edited:
I dont know if bubbles are dangerous to fish and corals, but I do know that they will cause salt creep. And ALOT of it. When I first got into this hobby, I did what you are planning on doing. And I had so much salt creep that I couldnt keep up with it no matter what I did, I cleaned it every day, had salt all over the place. On the wall behind the tank on the stand, on the floor under the tank.

I suggest you take our experiences and avoid problems that will arise from using the tubes in your power heads.:twocents:

I started my 150 gallon saltwater tank a little over a year ago. It was originally a freshwater tank and came with two 304 Fluval filters. It proved to be a little too much for the fluvals and i had problems with ph and nitrates. I just set up a Sealife Pro series 300 wet/dry filter system. I have tons of questions. First, how long should i keep my Fluvals running before i can take them out and just run the wet/dry? How often do i need to clean the protein skimmer? How often do i need to clean the bio balls? Do i need to put any filter media in the top tray of the filter? How often should i clean the blue block filter at the bottom of the filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am kind of lost with this new filter system.
thanks, kevin

Last edited:
I am new also as you can tell by this thread but usually I think most people empty the protein skimmer everyday since it just collects into a cup which is separated from the rest of the tank (by an air gap I mean) but I guess it depends on the protein skimmer too, usually the directions have maintenance tasks listed like how often you need to clean stuff on it.

Well,This is how I would do it,and how I clean my wet/dry.
I'd go a head and pull those canisters.Save em back for when you want to run some carbon or GFO ( there not totally usless:D).
Get yourself at least 4 or 5 of the filter pads for the tray.Then every couple of days,pull the used media out and replace it with a dry pad.Rinse the one that you just pulled under the tap and hang it somewhere to dry.Repeat that every 2 to 3 days at least.
I rinse the bio-balls with every water change.I usually just throw em in a salt bucket and carry em out to the water hose.That way you get all the crude out of em.
The foam filter at the bottom gets rinsed with every water change also.
For the skimmer,I actually clean the cup out once a week.But I've got a fitting drilled into the bottom of the cup to drain the skimmate into an empty milk jug.
Hope that helps,and welcome to the site.

well that all depends. Are you a dsb person (deep sand bed) that would be 5 to 7 inches deep. If not then 1/2 to 1 inch. Other factor is are you gonna keep siffters in the tank then that would be 2 to 3 inches for the most part.

Ok so it's just personal preference. So as far as the live rock goes, what is a good way to make sure live rock is still alive? Also what are some test kits I should get to make sure my water is safe (before I add live rock, and also before I add salt that way I don't waste it if the water is not good or something for some reason.

Also how should I transport this stuff, it's about and hour and a half trip from where this guy is.

For now,just make sure your salinity is right.1.024 to 1.026 is where you want it.
To check the live rock,give it the sniff test.Get your down there and take a good sniff.If it smells fresh then its good.If its got an ammonia smell then its got some die off.
To transport it,pick up a couple of those cheap styrofoam coolers .Place the rock in the coolers then add enough saltwater to just cover the rock.
Once its in the tank,wait a few days,then start testing for ammonia and nitrite.

Ok so I think I found the one, found another guy who is trying to sell of his tank stuff, he'll sell me 75 lbs. for $75!!!

So for transporting it, so I should bring my own saltwater then? How much would I need for 75 lbs.

You can bring your own saltwater, but that'd be really heavy. How long of a trip do you have to make? Most of the time, bringing some newspaper and getting them wet in tank water, then draping the rock with the wet newspaper will preserve most of the stuff on it.

Ok so I think I found the one, found another guy who is trying to sell of his tank stuff, he'll sell me 75 lbs. for $75!!!

So for transporting it, so I should bring my own saltwater then? How much would I need for 75 lbs.

I doubt you'd be able to find a better price on rock than that.I'd jump on it.

It's about 100 miles so about and hour and a half maybe. Yeah that's why I'm trying to figure this out so I could go get it as soon as possible. So you think the wet newspaper thing would work all right? Let me know ASAP I might go pick this up tonight, the guy is going to email me a picture.

So I guess I should go ahead and mix salt in my aquarium, how much water do you think I should remove for 75 lbs. of live rock, you know with the displacement and everything? I've got the heater going and powerheads so that should be good for just the live rock right?

Last edited:
Back