New wrasse increadibly sick :(

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Hey everyone i think my wrasse is on its way out but i had a question with my urchin.

I put this six line wrasse in last night and straight away one of my fish, the dottyback, had been pretty feral towards him.

This morning when i woke up, he was underneath my urchin stuck on the glass, no doubt getting eaten, i knocked the urchin off and im guessing he is incredibly poisoned. Ive taken him out and setup my little 3gallon tank for the competition for him and he is now lying on the sand. Im hoping he can pull through.

But my question is, has anyone heard of urchins doing this to fish ?

yup, some urchins are omnivores, they'll usually eat algae but will eat meat when given the chance. Sorry to hear about it Josh.

yes absolutely.
I had a Diadema Urchin who ate through the 'stem' of my knobby wall and now its half of what its supposed to be. Its eaten our goby's and any fish who was sick and didnt move in time.
We set up an isolation tank for the guy but he got terribly sick and died. You would think I would be happy but I loved the guy :(

Ok, so now the urchin is in the sump, but I also found my bubble tip stung to death .... I bought him yesterday and my bubble coral killed him with his sweeper tenticles. Oh well, 3/5 items are still good and the wrasse might pull through.. Sigh, im not buying a bubble tipped nem anymore

Sens right.
While some urchins do like some meat in their diet,they prefer the dead and dying.Their to slow to catch and kill healthy fish.
Hate to hear about your BTA too.While they are probably THE hardiest anemones to keep.There's not much that can withstand the stings of a bubble coral.

Mmm, it may have happened that way, im not sure if the wrasse is still alive as he moved from where he was resting. Maybe, he will kick back. The BTA's ive had have been unlucky. :( thanks everyone.

Back