Newly acclimated Anthias laying on the sand

x19

Reefing newb
Hey All, I ordered another 3 anthias from liveaquaria. One of them arrived DOA and I acclimated the other two by adding a shot class full of water to their bags every 5 minutes until the bags were full, then drained the water and added them to the tank. Immediately upon being put in the water both of the Anthias (added separately) immediately laid down on the sandbed.

I've turned off the lights but none of the other anthias I've added acted in this way. Is there anything I should do?

Take pictures and document it, sounds like you might be calling liveaquaria for a refund soon, if they don't perk up. :(

Definitely took pictures, thanks for the suggestions. The fish have moved on from the bottom of the tank to hide in the rockwork so I suppose that may be a good sign. They are way bigger than my other 2 anthias and both appear to be male so there may be other issues...

I'm guessing part of the problem is that they were acclimated too fast. I did the same thing with Anthias when I tried them, and had the exact same issue. Since that fish, I have always drip acclimated for at least 1.5 hours before introducing a fish to my tank

when doing the shotglass method always fill the bag once drain most of the water out( leave about 1/4 bag) then refill the bag again but when doing it should be no more then a half glass at a time.. when done it should take about 1.5 hours to 2 hours..
I hope they pull through for you .. :D

+1 North...it's possible it was just shock from quick acclimation. For me drip acclimating is so much easier, since I start the drip, and leave it for 2 hours (I do check it every 30 min or so to scoop out some water).

But I hope the last 2 do fine. Definitely notify liveaquaria asap about the fish that was doa.

So 1 of the Anthias came out when I fed the tank, but didn't eat. The other hasn't been seen since he hid in the rockwork. So far so good... here's hoping.

Thanks everyone.

Both of the fish are alive so far still today, but haven't really left the rockwork...at least not when they can see me. I did see one eating PE Mysis from his hole in rock.

Back