NewPortRichey's Tank Rebound!

Dirt looking stuff?

All that comes to mind is sand or debris from decaying matter.

It's late, sorry no pics tonight. It looks like a rust color. I repositioned some of the power heads and stirred things up. I think it's the dead algae from before showing it's ugly head. I need to up my filtration equipment to eradicate it. I've still got the sump to do as well as order a beefier protein skimmer.:frustrat:

Sounds like diatoms. Nothing much you can do about those, but wait it out. Diatoms are normal, they come and go. Everyone gets them once in a while.

tank looks great! that's an amazing turnaround.
i agree with biff, it sounds like diatoms. it's common on new tank settups. or if something has changed drasically in an established tank. such as addition of lots of live rock, or even taking all the old rock out and cleaning it off, lots of algae die off, etc

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I'm starting to become proud of it again. I'm all set up to do a new sump tonight. We'll see how it goes. I've never done one before so I'm sure there will be a little trial/error. I'm going to get the longest tank I can at the LFS and just put in baffles made out of plexiglass. I don't know how hard it is to cut that stuff but I'm sure I'll find out tonight. Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

Just bought a 30 gallon glass for the sump. The measurements are 36 x 12 x 16. I think that should be sufficient. Also, I bought a MagDrive 700 gph pump. Did I get a good deal?
MagDrive 700gph Water Pump - NEW - (eBay item 3980490396 end time Sep-30-07 17:26:27 PDT)
Here's the new protein skimmer. Not the best but not the worst either:
Octopus Needlewheel 150 Marine Solutions Online Store
I'm going to construct the sump tonight and get everything set up using my existing equipment. If everything dries in time I'll get some pics up. In the meantime, what do you guys think of the products I've chosen?

Congratulation and good luck on your sump build!

Thats about what I paid for my Mag 7.I heard so many good things on that Octopus skimmer.I think it should do nicely.

I've got all my plexi pieces ready. I think, after some research, I'm going to do away with the filter sock idea. I plan on having quite a bit of coral. Here's my question.............. water comes into the sump, then to the refugium, then to a skimmer then back to the tank? does this sound about right or do I have the order wrong???

It should go through the skimmer first, then the refugium. Or else the pressure from the water coming in will be too much for the refugium to handle.

normally you want the skimmer in the section where water first comes from the tank. but, if it won't fit, then anywhere is better than nowhere. the main thing you will want is to keep it in a place where the water level doesn't fluctuate with evaporation. such as the section where the return pump is located.

normally you want the skimmer in the section where water first comes from the tank. but, if it won't fit, then anywhere is better than nowhere. the main thing you will want is to keep it in a place where the water level doesn't fluctuate with evaporation. such as the section where the return pump is located.

Gotcha,

I'm doing away with the sock and planning on the skimmer in the first section.

BIFF....I'm scouring your build thread looking at your sump but the pictures aren't totally clear to me. Any chance you could put some up the next time you're taking photos? From the looks of it an update should be just around the corner.

I'll have the water coming in of course, but my concern is the splashing. On my current setup I've got a box that contains the basic blue/white filter stuff then it trickles to the bottom of the sump. Initially I had put some filter blocks there to reduce the noise and then a sock.

Can I put the IN tube diretly into the water so there's no water noise? I've got a flexible hose from the overflow on there now so I'm sure I could plumb something. Anyhow, as you all can see I'm still trying to have all this make sense in my mind. Biff, I've gotta say your build thread is an inspiration. I wish one day I can do the same thing with a big a$$ tank I got a great deal on. Oh, you and NEal have an incredible relationship, something to be cherished. My fiance' and I adore you both for it. Very rare.

Yeah I will post an update soon. Probably tomorrow. You can put the "in tube" directly into the water. That's fine.

We try to keep a good relationship. But last night I found out that he had cleaned out our JOINT savings account and moved ALL the money into his own personal account, and he won't give me my half of the money. I'm PISSED!!!! It's really hard to try and stay friends. Really hard. I think it would be easier for us to stay friends if he would MOVE OUT...

Sounds like it's coming along well... why are you deciding against the sock?

With all the coral I'm plannin on adding I've heard that it traps much of the nutrient I need to add?!?! And...........with these socks costing $10 a piece at my LFS the recommendation of changing them once a week is out of the question.............after all I'm planning for a wedding! Lol.

Yeah I will post an update soon. Probably tomorrow. You can put the "in tube" directly into the water. That's fine.

We try to keep a good relationship. But last night I found out that he had cleaned out our JOINT savings account and moved ALL the money into his own personal account, and he won't give me my half of the money. I'm PISSED!!!! It's really hard to try and stay friends. Really hard. I think it would be easier for us to stay friends if he would MOVE OUT...

JIMINY! We thought there were three options:
1. He's still in love w/you
2. He's got an alternative motive
3. It's an amazing bond between two people that we're just beginning to understand.

I went to hit the I"M SORRY button but alas, there is not one. At this point I'd say put some sand in the c*@ksuckers gastank and kick him out! Lock the doors, change the locks and wait for him to start crying. No man there. Sorry biffy. One of my 3 sisters has gone through 2 divorces, they never seem to be pretty and can take one heck of a toll on a person. Try to hang in there. Our thoughts are with you.

In the meantime..................... Where's some updated pics of your tank???? We're dying to see!

I asked because I was thinking of adding one - I can't believe it reomves the nutrients, only particles that make the water cloudy... I also understood that many of them can be reused.... Anyone else have any experience using filter socks?

Back