Newwww

I would just get a powerhead instead. You can get MaxiJets for $12 to $18 apiece and they are good quality powerheads. I would not use tap water. Conditioning it does not remove all heavy metals or phosphates or nitrates. Lots of people that use tap water run into major algae problems. And it's true that water conditioners will screw up your protein skimmer. If you are going to buy a skimmer, you'll have to switch to RODI water (which you should do anyways, in my opinion).

You can get RO water from walmart for 35 cents a gallon.Most LFS carry RO water also but they usually charge more.Here its 65 cents a gallon.I highly recommend a skimmer too.

Yeah Walmart and most grocery stores sell it bottled, and at Walmart you can even bring in your own container and fill it. Just look at the labels on the bottles. I buy it from my LFS for 25 cents a gallon. Or if you'd rather pay upfront you can buy your own RODI unit and make your own at home.

IMO,I wouldnt do a salt water tank WITHOUT a skimmer.A good skimmer will go a long way in keeping your water perimeters in check.

I'm going to agree with Biff and Reef on the power head too.There really not that expensive when you think of what you've already spent on your system.

The RO water from wal-mart is the way to go if you dont have the room or want to spend the money on an RO filter.I use the Culligan RO water from wal-mart on my tank.

thanx for all the info guys, i'm gonna go tomorrow and check the powerheads as well as the RoDi water. When i went to my LFS i was told i don't really need the RoDi water, that they run their tanks with just normal tap water and they are fine. I also don't think most of their tanks had a protein skimmer, i know they had the UV filter, so that's why i wasn't too sure on RoDi water, but i'll deff get the powerheads tomorrow!

so i came back with a power head, some new seaweed for my tang and more frozen food, also for my tang. I got home, did the water change, installed the power head, and now there's a lot of water movement in my tank, with the filter/power head combination, which i think should be good for my tank. As far as my blue tang goes, i noticed he's got some grayish spots around his mouth/eyes, could that be ich?

Ich usually looks like specks of dust or sand... It's usually noticeably white. Blue tangs sometimes get spots on their faces. Can't tell for sure without a pic though.

you need to check into an RO system I got one and love it .. Have your water tested in your town to see what all you need to get out... But I have had 2 times I needed to do a water change NOW!!!!!!!!!!! no time to go the the FO store... Real glad I had spair water to do it!! I do an 15gal. Water change every week.. My RO keeps me from by-ing alot a junk at the FO stoer I don't need.......

I have 5 power heads in my tank.... But I have read no...where witch way to make the water flow go . The only place my fish can go to get out of the flow is under the rock.. The Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook by Robert J. Goldstein says You have to have alot of motion to wash away waste products off the coarls It's working so far... But reading all the stuff all of ya'll have to say has me wondering if I read to much? My other book that I read is ( THE TROPICAL MARINE FISH SURVIVAL MANUAL by GORDON KAY good book love the pic... lots of info.

ok, i also have this red thing on one of my rocks, is it good or bad??

4p4g8aq.jpg

Bad,its cyno(red slime algae).Nothing really eats it and its usually a sign of water quality.I would start testing for phosphate and begin steps to remove it before it gets worst.Food and tap water is usually the culprit.

here's some idea:
Use RO/DI water for evaporation and water changes/siphon as much as you can when doing water changes.Switch to frozen food as much as possible.I not sure what type filtration you are running but phosphate remover like Phosban in a media bag could help too.

it's just growing on that one rock, there's no red algae on all my other rocks, i'll try to scrape it out or something today, see if i can feel the texture

ok, so i'm gonna post my actual set up in my tank, see if i'm missing anything!
I have:
- Filter
- Power head
- 20lb live sand
- crushed coral
- 25lb live rock
- 2 clown fish
- blue tang
- heater

as far as food goes i have
- pellets
- flake
- brine shrimp
- some kind of frozen algae
- dried seaweed
how often do you feed them?

i know i'll probably get opinions saying to get a protein skimmer...that's on the works, i have to fix my car first, then i'll get the protein skimmer

Ditch the pellets and flakes.There a big cause of algae problems.
I like to use a mix of frozen mysis,blood worms,brine shrimp,cyclops,and a few other things,I just thaw it all together in a small cup so I can put it in the fridge.I just feed 2 medium sized pinches(using tweezers) every third day.

Is that stuff on your rock hard or soft and slimy?

I would leave out the pellets and flakes.I believe you have a blue tangs so cutting out the algae sheets is probably not a good idea.I ditch the brine and switch to mysis also.Brine has no nutritional value.I would feed once a day and feed algae sheet for the tang every other day attached to a veggie clip.

Heres the Spots on my Tangs nose
Very common
Fish011.jpg

As for food Most tangs Love the algae sheets
mine likes Brine , plankton, and mysis. as well as the Seaweed sheets
How often do you feed your Fish?
Im on a once a day to every two day schedual. On the dyas that it has been two days since the last feeding ill toss in a seaweed sheet

yea, i'm not sure if the spots on his face look like that, i'll check tomorrow and make sure if they look like that or not. Also, he doesn't seem to eat the seaweed sheets, idk y, i tried 2 different types, and nothing. I have a clip that looks like a clown, so that might be a reason y, but how else can i feed it??
also, how/when do u feed them? leave the seaweed sheet in there for a day?

Back