Newwww

I never heard of that Ro/DI unit.
With 5-stages,it sounds sweet.Make sure you get a TDS meter if it doesn't have one built in.

TDS-total dissolve solids

little update!!

today i got mysis shrimp, plankton, a mesh clip for my tang (feed him the formula two) as well as a little rock to attach seaweed and other kinds of greens.
plenty of circulation around the tank, have noticed that there's not as much brown algae as it used to be, especially in the front of the tank. the cardinals are loving the flow.
RO/DI unit coming on monday!

Sounds good, Blue. I've also found it easy to attach the seaweed using a rubber band. It eventually snaps because of the salt, but they last for awhile.

did a 50% water change tomorrow, probably going to do another big water change when i get the RO/DI unit. took some of the rock out that was loaded with cyano, cleaned it off, and put it back in the tank. my back glass now has some purpleish spots, is that good algae???

also, the hippo tang eats, but his face is still covered with those gray spots. i'm feeding him algae, formula two and mysis as well as brine shrimp and frozen plankton. anything else i can do for him?? is the head and lateral line disease bad?? will it kill him??

The purple spots are coralline algae -- good.

Lateral line disease can go away if they start getting proper nutrition. Luckily it's reversible.

Lateral line can be fatal if its not addressed.But it is also reversible.In extreme cases it may leave a lasting scar.

When I first got my scopus tang,he had lateral line.But now he's health and doesnt even have a scar.

well i've been trying to feed him different kinds of seaweed as well as mysis shrimp, brine shrimp and plankton. i'm going to try NORI next, see if he eats that a little bit easier and faster, but i think he's doing a little bit better.
today i finally got the RO/DI unit, did about 50% water change yesterday, what's my next step? when i have the RO/DI set up, what kind of water change should i do?

well i'm going to start with 10% water changes every week until i get just RO/DI water in the tank...then i'll probably do 2 week water changes, about 15%. Since i don't have a skimmer, i'll have to do weekly water changes so that the water doesn't become too bad...btw, here are a few pics of my hippo tang, i guess they should be decent enough to know if he has the HLLE or something else!

5yvrdk7.jpg

4r7pz6t.jpg

639yiw3.jpg

4xl1d7t.jpg

Hey guys, wow it's been a while since i posted here...well there's been a couple additions to the tank. I added a 36" T5 fixture with 2 actinics and 2 T5s, 15lb of live rock, removed the crushed coral and sand due to the release of phosphates, and i added an AquaC Remora Skimmer. Now my next move is to start with corals, most likely an anemone. Any help as to which anemone is pretty hardy and a good one to start with?
Well onto the pics!

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01451.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

You got it looking good.
But you might want to think about adding a little more rock before you actually start corals.
Wait a bit long on the anemone to.You want to make sure the tank is stable enough not to have any big parameter swings.They need great water quality along with plenty of light.
I'm not trying to discourage you from getting an anemone,I just want to be successful at keep them.

BTW
My personal choice is the bubble tip anemone.

I've had the tank since July and the paramaters have been stable for a while already, the only thing is a bit high are phosphates, but by removing the crushed coral and sand that should help me out a bit. As far as water quality and light is concerned, i should also be pretty good since i added the protein skimmer along with the HOB filter i have, plus the T5s with the actinics. I have a steady 77F temperature, i read that the anemones need a decent amount of flow, so i was gonna pick up another powerhead to go with it.
I also have a mushroom in the tank, and he's been doing pretty well, he opened up and looks pretty good as you can see in the picture.
My salinity is at 1.025.
I have about 45-50lb of live rock, i'll pick up some more either today or tomorrow, maybe tomorrow for my birthday.

Anemones are more difficult to keep alive than 90% of corals out there, in my opinion. They usually do not do well unless they are kept in a tank that has been established for at least a year. They die really easily, and will wipe out everything else in your tank with them.

In my opinion, your tank has not been up and running long enough to keep an anemone. They just don't tend to survive in new tanks. Plus, I don't think you have enough light over a 46 gallon tank with a 36" T5 fixture to successfully keep an anemone. They also need a lot more light than most corals.

Are there other corals that are a bit easier to keep and that will add some color/life to the tank?
I was thinking on some Xenias, which i heard that the Ocellaris can host too...not too sure though.

Whats the wattage of your light?Its hard to know what would do good with out a little more information.
As of right now,mushrooms would do good.

There are tons of corals out there that are easier to keep than anemones. Xenia are a good one, so are any type of leathers (softies). Zoanthids and mushrooms are good, so are ricordeas. You can also try some LPS like frogspawn, torch or hammers. Those are good ones too.

as biff said get some lps,leathers,zoas and shroms.but if you buy xenia there is a 50 50 chance it will live or die.some people can keep them like reefreak and others cant like
me

Last edited:
Back