Not Happy with Bubble Magus Skimmer.

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I decided to go with the Bubble Magus nac-7 instead of the Super Reef Octopus xp1000 for my 75 gallon tank.

I've been running it for the last few days in my 110 to try it out and I don't really like it. The pump gets HOT, and doesn't seem to be pulling much water. I don't really like the level control system and the overall quality doesn't seem too good.

I was thinking about seeing if I could send it back to BRS and get the xp1000 from Marinedepot. I don't mind the extra $45.

Do you guys think I'm over reacting? :-?

What is the water level it is sitting in? Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say they didn't like this skimmer. However, I have not heard of the pump heating up either so that might be an issue you need to deal with with BRS.

What is the water level it is sitting in? Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say they didn't like this skimmer. However, I have not heard of the pump heating up either so that might be an issue you need to deal with with BRS.

It was in 8" of water which I know is kinda low, but that's how it is for my other skimmer. The 75g's sump has about 11" of water.

I contacted BRS and asked if the heat was unusual and told them the temperature in the tank was starting to go up and this is what they said:

"Not unusual at all, especially with the cheaper pumps. With any submersible pump all of the heat generated transfers to the tank. Heres a video that doesn’t specifically talk about skimmer pumps, but just demos pumps and heat in general.
BulkReefSupplyCom's Channel - YouTube"

If it is hot, and not pulling much water it sounds like an issue with the pump. Again, I have not read any bad reviews on this skimmer. I know it may take a bit to find the sweet spot to get it skimming correctly, but never heat issues.

8" depth is not bad. Some people have to run them as shallow as 7" to get what they need out of it.

I just took the pump out and ran it by itself and it seems to be pulling a lot more water. That doesn't really make any sense. :-?

How did you run the pump? With or without the air valve adjustment? If that air valve is wide open it will pull less water/more air.

How did you run the pump? With or without the air valve adjustment? If that air valve is wide open it will pull less water/more air.

I'm not sure. I have to leave now but I'll be back tomorrow afternoon so I'll set it up and take some picture of it then.

I'm not sure. I have to leave now but I'll be back tomorrow afternoon so I'll set it up and take some picture of it then.

What do you mean you're not sure? Did you run it with the air hose attached or did you disconnect it from everything and run it?

Oh, I disconnected it from everything. Just ran the pump by itself.

Well it is going to pull more water as soon as the volute id dis-connected, there is no more air flow into it. When you put it back together, try closing off the air intake a bit to pull more water.

That I have no idea about. When you say hot what exactly do you mean? Like unable to touch it hot? Or raiding the tank temp a couple degrees?

Maybe it is a bad pump and you were just the unlucky recipient. I would contact the manufacturer, not BRS.

So now I have the tank full S.G. is currently at like 1.015 (going up). I turned the skimmer on and it's releasing micro bubbles like crazy. A lot of the bubbles inside the skimmer are going through the output.

I never really thought much of it, but there are a lot of differences from my skimmer and the one in the BRS pictures.

bubble-magus-nac7.jpg

The output thing on mine is white not blue. And the input part on mine is white and a different shape.

bubble-magus-nac7-2.jpg

My skimmer has a needlewheel impeller not a meshwheel one.

bubble-magus-nac7-1.jpg

There's a white disk between the pump and the clear part which doesn't seem to have any purpose on mine.

I just don't like this skimmer... But I guess now it's too late to send it back??

Or maybe I just have it set up wrong. It would have been nice if it had come with instructions. :disappoin

I had the skimmer running in the 110 for a couple days, and I don't think I had this problem. Here's a video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIuPOhvN-cA]Micro Bubbles. - YouTube[/ame]

Here are some pictures of how it's set up:

scaled.php

scaled.php

And what is this? Some kind of air control?

scaled.php

scaled.php

Could the low salinity be effecting how the bubbles float?

Back