Now What?

U4BOYZ

Got Fish?
I received copepods and microalgae from reefpods today. They came with very little directions. It says not to refrigerate and safe to add to refugium or DT...and that's about it. Do I dump the whole bag in? It's 7oz. It says the live for 4 wks. Does that mean I use a little a day?

Do pods reproduce it the refugium, or do you have to add them every so often to keep their numbers up?

You can add them all at once if you like. If not, then you can store them in the fridge for up to 4wks without them going bad. The colder temps help to slow them down. If you do store in the fridge make sure to open the container to allow for fresh air and gas exchange. If it were me I'd add all at once so they can get moving, eating and reproducing.

Thanks Dave. Just to be clear....I can add all 7oz? It seems like a lot...and I don't want my Nitrates to spike or anything.

if they are live i would add them all at once and they will reproduce in the tank. if they are dead than add a little at a time

Do you have a refugium? If you do I'd shut the pump off for a few minutes and dump them all in. That way they don't just get washed out to the display before they can get a claw-hold. If you don't have a refugium, then perhaps feed them in slowly (or not) depending on if your worried that one of your inhabitants will quickly decimate the population in the display.

Last edited:
What did you decide on doing....all at once or adding slowly over the next few weeks? Also, if you're adding right to the DT you can do a rubble pile so the pods will have a place to live and breed where the fish can get to them that easily.

I ended up putting 1/3 into my DT, 1/3 into my sump, and 1/3 I poured right into my Chaeto. Hopefully that'll give them the possibility of establishing a solid population. :)

Back