NSW - how much better is it?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Well I had the pleasure of seeing 2 of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen.. (from 2 different people)

Interesting they have one thing in common... they both used Natural Sea Water instead of a mix...and both SWEAR by it.

Opinions? I can get a 60 gallon container for $40 cdn (delivered) or I could go get my own.... :but that strikes me as a bit of a PITA.

Well, assuming the water is fairly pollution-free, one advantage that immediately springs to mind is food. NSW contains all sorts of microscopic food sources, which would make most corals quite happy.

When you look at the many analysis of the mixes compared to NSW --none can fully replicate NSW from the standpoint of the chemistry or the biological organisms in NSW. BUT NSW may be more likely to have parasites!.

When you look at the many analysis of the mixes compared to NSW --none can fully replicate NSW from the standpoint of the chemistry or the biological organisms in NSW. BUT NSW may be more likely to have parasites!.

I'm with you. I wouldn't use it myself. I also wouldn't use LR right from the ocean either. No telling what you can get.

My biggest concern would be the all the microscopic animals in the NSW.
There is a hige temp difference in our tanks and ocean up there.
I'd worry that all that zoo and phytoplankton would boil and compromise the water quality.
Parameter wise,It would be awesome to be able to use it.:D

actually, a UV sterilizer probably wouldn't be sufficient. to remove all potential parasites (as well as all potential food) you'd also want to use a 2 micron, or better, 0.2 micron membrane to filter it. That would take FOREVER, and the membranes aren't cheap.

Back