Oh Noes! Not Another...Oh Yes...

Bifferwine

I am a girl
I will be acquiring a 12 gallon nano within the next week or so (hopefully), thanks to LConte!!!

I have always wanted to do something specific with a nano, but have never before ventured into the world of nano... So this will be my first time going small. But I know what I want, and I am seeking all of your input.

How about this: For corals, ricordeas ONLY. Like, TONS of ricordeas. Every bit of rock covered. I mean, freakin ricordea carpet. For fish: seahorses only. Other inverts: probably a few snails; the usual suspects. And a pair of shrimp.

What kind of seahorses? What kind of shrimp?

Does that sound cool? Ricordeas are probably my favorites, so I'm psyched about a ric only tank. What do you guys think?

Sounds like it will make a beautiful tank. Maybe you can even try a goby pistol shrimp combo? I love seahorses, but I thought they either got real big or needed cool water? If you find a good horse I might be intresated in some so let us know.

I think there are some seahorses out there that would do okay in 12 g. I'll have to do some research, I've never read up much on seahorses before.

OOOH OOOH! Maybe a pair of pipefish instead???

Yeah I think there are small ones, but I think they need cool water. I don't know for sure. Pipe fish would be cool.

I don't think seahorses will do well in that small of a system.Ricordea tank would be cool though.Get a bunch of sexy shrimps and a pair of heifrichi.

Not if I'm going wall to wall ricordeas, I can't.

I'll find some seahorses to go in a nano. They're out there. I know they are. And I'm gonna find them.

TO THE BAT CAVE!!!

I did some research when I first started the hobby on seahorses. From memory and looking at the fish bible, I cannot find a variety that will work in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. I really like the idea of having some pipefish, no one keeps those. I have seen some that are just incredible.

Rics would look great, but only yumas. you want BIG coverage. it would look cool to set up a "V" formation with the rock with the point at the back of the tank, at the tallest point and the "V" pointing to the front of the tank and the lowest point being just before the front glass. you could also put in a small island area at the front of the "V" for unusual zoas. Pink ones, red ones, blue ones, etc. I think that would look cool as well.

Looking forward to it

-Doc

Hmmm I'll find a way around this. I'll need to talk to my LFS. I am pretty sure there are some dwarf seahorses that will be okay in a nano... Pipefish on the other hand, usually only eat pods, so they might be more challening in a small tank. But they certainly are cool. My LFS has some bright red and orange striped pipefish and they are just stunning.

I'll make it work. Because I will.

That sounds great.12 Gallon is a good size nano tank.Where are thinking about putting it?I always wanted a small tank on my computer desk.I like the school of shrimp idea.Post pics soon.

No idea where I'll put it. Probably in my living room, near my 240. I would really like to have it on my desk at work, but am not sure if I would be able to give it the attention it would require as I only work part time. I tried to con my boyfriend into letting me set it up in his bedroom, but he's not down with the whole "responsibility" thing ;).

Well, it's been several months, but NoobDeBiff and I FINALLY set up the new nano today.

NDB had to make a slight modification to the hood so that a heater would fit in it.

0308127.jpg

0308130.jpg

Some live sand, some water and 18 lbs of live rock later...

0308129.jpg

Let's plug in the lights!!! OH NO! 2 of the 4 bulbs don't work. Guess we'll have to go shopping tomorrow... But this is with half the lights on.

Front:

0308132.jpg

Side:

0308133.jpg

Other Side:

0308134.jpg

I put a couple pellets of food in it to get it cycling. Still no decisions on what to put in it, but I am going to let NDB decide, since I gave the tank to him.

I would have to cheat and hide a big sump/refugium. I can not imagine trying to keep a stable environment in that small a tank. I would want to be checking parameters constantly with a tank that small, and I normally am heavy on monitoring large tanks. Would it be considered cheating to have a 50 gallon sump/refugium with a 12 gallon display nano tank. That I would try, I mysef do not see me going with a stand alone of 12 gallons though. I think it great when it is done though. I have a hard time even believing so many people keep tanks smaller than 55 gallon tanks. I had quite a few in the past before the days of skimmers and much live rock, and it was definitely frustrating then. Times have brought a lot of improvements but I like that cushion of mass of volume and the dilution advantage of volume.

lovely start...but wait.....I think a mod has made a mistake. Isn't the build thread meant for one tank only??? ;)

-Doc

Back