Ok goofy snails!

KatiB

Reefing newb
In my Tank thread I just posted that I moved the filter basket to replace the floss....and out comes a ton of pods to the tank. Cool! 2 Seconds later of course all the snails pop out of the sand.

About a minute later suddenly I have a MASS of 5 snails in a ball traveling over the sand like a group of kids fighting over a ball at the playground! (That or pods cause massive snail orgies....not sure which.) I have never seen them go nuts like this.....

snails.jpg

When I feed my corals at night I give the shrimp a piece of krill and then make sure the hermits get a few piece. The snails then storm the crabs and it keeps them busy for a long time. I then feed my corals while everything is being amused.

LOL Good plan. They always pop out when I feed, so that wasn't unexpected. They have never just gone nuts and played Dog-pile before. Makes me wonder if there is a poor hermit at the bottom of the pile.....

my guess is they are starving, I dont feed my CUC any thing,if they are full of food I'm giving them then they are not doing there job as a CUC on fish waste and such..:twocents:

my guess is they are starving, I dont feed my CUC any thing,if they are full of food I'm giving them then they are not doing there job as a CUC on fish waste and such..:twocents:

They definitely aren't starving. :) There is plenty in the tank for the small CuC I have. I made sure not to over populate my tank with a large CuC for just that reason. From what I have read, they often 'perk up' when the tank is fed. (And they have done it since day 1....they did at the pet store too and came from a well established well fed tank.) About 1 min after the pic, they dispersed back to the sand etc...

It looked more like a piece of the food got down there and they all jumped it saying "Mine ! Mine !" I wasn't worried about them. Just thought it was definitely interesting as I haven't seen them all tussle like that. They are usually well behaved and go their own way.

Back