ok.. something is not right..

Yote & Fishy:

OK am going to take my time and really put some effort into answering your posts because I think you are zoning in on some great stuff and deserve sincere answers.

Just my 2 cents. But I doubt that the PH dropping to 7.7 has anythng to do with your invert problem. It would have had to drop instantly to have killed the snails.And if that had happened, it would have killd your fish to.

I tend to agree. Thank you for the support.

I think I read that you had a little cloudiness in the tank too. If thats that case, you've got somethng going on with the water.Probaby some type of bacteria. But that usually wouldn't kill the snails either unless it was accompanied by an ammonia spike.
Again same answer... And another thank you for the support it provides, I need it.

Have you had your LFS test the water? If nothing else it would verify you test results against theirs.

Yes it did and they agree with my testing. and that was a great support to get too.

Did you test for stray voltage in both your DT and sump? I'm vaguely recalling that you did and set up a grounding probe - if so, did you put a separate grounding probe in your sump and is it indeed connected to a grounded outlet?

Yes I have the stray voltage thing under control. Thank you, though.. good thinking.

My thoughts are stray voltage, copper, or bad snails. I'd recommend placing an order with reef cleaners, acclimating per their instructions (which is different than normal drip acclimation), and see how they do. Their snails are supposed to very hearty to changes in water chemistry because they come from tidal pools.

I like the reef cleaners idea.. I have seen snails come in, in the bags by the hundred and be "dumped into tanks" and expect they lost high % behind the scenes. I will get back to this last again if I don't forget.. it I don't then remind me to.

As for the brittestar - they ship poorly and can never be exposed to air. Even if you didn't expose it, one of the LFS employees may have, or it may have been exposed along the chain of command from collection to the LFS. They are also apparently sensitive to the oils in our hands so best to use gloves when handling them - again, even if you used gloves, someone else along the way may not have.

Crap, then I may of screw that one up!!! We caught it in a net..and lofted it out of the tank which I now know was being medicated for flat worms.. I drip aclimbed it and eased it out of the bag into my tank though. And yes I do tend to have my hands in the tank a lot... I guess a lot.. at least once a day, average and do use lotion but try.. ummm.. I expect I do fail to remember some times. . good answers! .. and I DID have the conch out of the water a couple of times.. would that be a no-no.

Zoas are just a PITA - some do fine, others melt right away, and others do fine for months and then bam, seem to melt over night. I doubt the snail problems are related to your zoas. For the zoas, what types of light do you have, how are you acclimating them to your lights, where are you getting them from, how much flow are they getting?

Hummm many of my (maybe all) of my zoas were fast fire sales, one LFS had problems and I knew they would be a risk and had to do very hardy dipping and cleaning, the other had a special anniversary sale bringing in many corals for a buy one get one sale. So may of been in trouble already though they looked great in the display. Lights are LEDs and I think I am learning how to acclimate better per lights.. but it is a learning curve. I touch on flow in a moment.

And one last thought - keep your hands out of the tank! You might either be introducing something to the tank (like if you accidentally have lotion on your hands, etc), or every time you move stuff around are disturbing your corals and critters. Seriously, just let things sit for a while and see what happens (hard as hell, I know!

Yeah, we were already here. GOOD HELPS GUYS!!

I had decided just before I had read these two posts that I need to just set back and enjoy the tank a while, perhaps save and add an additional Vortex to slave to the one I have...I think flow is not bad but I do have some sediment on much of my life rock that should be moved around and off so it can be carried into the sump systems. ..If all the coral make it or fail ...not get into a knee jerk action and let the tank mature and concentrate on healthy fish for a while. After a couple of weeks not fooling with the tank I intend to order a CUC from reef cleaners.

I think it may be a combination of getting bad live stock, some mistakes on my handling, flow, not a mature tank, and leaving things alone.

Thank you for the support,,, and everyone for the great help and answers.. more is welcomed.. and will be taken with serious value.

Last edited:
After reading the, "keep your hands out of the tank".....I have a quick question.
I'm curious for myself cause I take medication, if any or some of the medications that someone takes could cause a problem with our fish if we put our hands in the tank?

After reading the, "keep your hands out of the tank".....I have a quick question.
I'm curious for myself cause I take medication, if any or some of the medications that someone takes could cause a problem with our fish if we put our hands in the tank?

I don't know of any specific cases but its possible. I had lotion on my hands and went into the tank once, it took 2 days for my skimmer to return to normal operation. You want to try and keep you hands out of the tank as much as possible

I don't know of any specific cases but its possible. I had lotion on my hands and went into the tank once, it took 2 days for my skimmer to return to normal operation. You want to try and keep you hands out of the tank as much as possible

Wow ..is so much more critical than in fresh water.. we can do so much damage trying to help.

I am frankly amazed to hear that men are using lotion. I've never known a man that wears hand lotion. :mrgreen:

My forearms and hands must have lotion at night. I'm in the weather and attics, on roofs with rough shingles and tiles everyday. I have to disinfect them several times a day from handling various animals in various conditions, and my hands and forearms dry out and crack if I do not use lotion to keep them healthy. But though I try to remember to wash them hard with water before I put them in the tank, I know I must often forget when I see a problem that needs tending.. this may be much of my problem... ??? dauh... thanx! .. plus.. after these posts, I doubt if washing in water even doing it well is good enough. I need to invest in a good pair of LONG gloves... for those must times. ...suggestions???

Last edited:
Well, it looks like you're going to need to get a pair of those long, very very long waterproof gloves of some sort for when you do your tank maintenance.

Well, it looks like you're going to need to get a pair of those long, very very long waterproof gloves of some sort for when you do your tank maintenance.

:^::mrgreen::D:bounce:

I "THINK" we have made a break through.. and have a most likely answer to most of it! ...If you add in the questionable condition of many of my animal additions we kind of wrapped it up, maybe. ??

So it is run the GFO and carbon 24-7 and stay out of my tank for a couple of weeks.. to get it healthy.

Last edited:
:^::mrgreen::D:bounce:

I "THINK" we have made a break through.. and have a most likely answer to most of it!

So it is run the GFO and carbon 24-7 and stay out of my tank for a couple of weeks.. to get it healthy.

Yes, I think you're on the right track. That would make sense as to why the water is a little tiny bit milky, too.... time will tell. Good Luck!

Love you guys !!! what a team..

It is powerful when folk can team up and bring many experiences and disciplines of trades and skills together to solve a problem... something to remember ... no matter how good or smart you are it is wise to seek out and listen to those who are expert in a field in which you are not.

What I know and am an expert at is yours for the asking.. thank you.

Last edited:
In the leadership class that I am taking right now, we did an exercise where we were placed in a scenario of a plane crash survivor in a frozen tundra. We were given a list of items that were available to us. We ranked them by usefulness individually, then as a small group. They were scored based on how far away you placed them from the "experts" had placed them on the list. As a group, ALL people scores were better. Including the ones that scored the highest individually.

I know not really relevant to the discussion, but shows that even if you are an expert, someone with less knowledge might have some worthwhile input.

In the leadership class that I am taking right now, we did an exercise where we were placed in a scenario of a plane crash survivor in a frozen tundra. We were given a list of items that were available to us. We ranked them by usefulness individually, then as a small group. They were scored based on how far away you placed them from the "experts" had placed them on the list. As a group, ALL people scores were better. Including the ones that scored the highest individually.

I know not really relevant to the discussion, but shows that even if you are an expert, someone with less knowledge might have some worthwhile input.

Experts need some one not an expert on their staff, they keep the easy answers more reachable. When we are experts at a discipline we tend to complicate the resolution. We must always remember to strive to KISS the problem first. (for those not in the loop, Keep It Simple Stupid) And for the record it IS relevant. Keeping my damned hands out of the tank is a simple answer to a VERY complex problem.

Last edited:
Totally agree about keep your hands out of the tank. I also wash at work constantly and because of it have to use lotion every day when I get home after getting clean. I am a little concerned about the hitch hiker crab with the pointed pinches you mentioned. The description of the pincers makes me think you have a predator. Might not be the main reason for the DT deaths but that feather duster was a sitting duck for it. Get some gloves and set a trap for that crab....:twocents:

Totally agree about keep your hands out of the tank. I also wash at work constantly and because of it have to use lotion every day when I get home after getting clean. I am a little concerned about the hitch hiker crab with the pointed pinches you mentioned. The description of the pincers makes me think you have a predator. Might not be the main reason for the DT deaths but that feather duster was a sitting duck for it. Get some gloves and set a trap for that crab....:twocents:

Yep, thanks, building and setting a trap for that crab or him and his siblings is my next project, WITHOUT getting my hands in the tank.

So Ted, you have to keep your hands out and do keep your hands out???? and it works??

I try and mess with the tank as little as possible. Of course it helps with a highly poisonous fish that knows that thats HIS tank. ;)

For the crab just get a glass tilt it up against a rock with a piece of shrimp or fish in it. He will go in after it and not be able to crawl back out.

but making a miniature crab trap is more of a challenge ad I can reuse it over and over.. but hope I never need to. This guy wasn't very big...maybe 1/2 small finger nail sized. I have a minute or two so I'll see if I can find a picture on the web.

I think this is the guy I saw... that could explain my feather duster demise..??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L41tL1Ojqo]Hitchhiker crab with eggs - reef tank - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Back