ok.. something is not right..

That crab looks like a gorilla crab - could definitely be contributing to the problem - good luck with the trap!! My guess is that its not just one thing but several things that are contributing to your problems. Glad the lotion idea hit home, and hope you have better luck with the gloves! For the record, I have the gloves and they are huge on my hands, making it really hard not to squish or break things when I try to move them around, so I no longer use them and just avoid putting lotion on my hands at all during the day. I do often wonder if make up residue or soap residue gets into my tank when I put my hands in it, but so far no problems. I also have a pair of long tongs that I use to move stuff around whenever possible.

As for the zoas, yeah, they may not have been healthy colonies. If you try some again, start them on the sandbed to acclimate to your lights, and make sure they get decent flow. Also, zoas are one of those corals that tend to do better in dirtier tank water. Running carbon and GFO might be making your tank too clean for the zoas, unless you are getting some from another local reefer who runs an exceptionally clean tank and has zoas thriving. If you have decent lights, I'd try some easy LPS corals - torch/hammer/frogspawn, duncan, trumpet or candycane, etc. You could also try a monticap or birdsnest - both of those tend to be easy SPS, though my own birdsnests are some of the first to retract polyps when tank chemistry is off. I just think zoas are so hit or miss and aren't necessarily a good barometer on how well or poorly your tank is doing!

As for crap on the rocks, you can take a turkey baster or point a powerhead at them just before doing a water change to blow stuff off and into the water column. You can also buy less expensive powerheads to get more flow (like the hydor koralias) while waiting to save up enough money to get another vortex.

Finally, I think I might reconsider running the carbon and GFO 24/7. I think the only tanks that really have a need for that are heavily stocked SPS tanks. Some people only run carbon a few days a month to polish the water. I'm not convinced of the need for GFO, as I think there are other simplier and cheaper ways to control phosphates, but each to their own! I would think as long as you have a good skimmer (rated for double your tank volume) and run some chaeto in your sump with a light that you have on an opposite cycle from your DT, then that should keep things in check!

Keep us posted! I really hope the lotion is the key to your snail problems :)

Fishy:

Am sitting on the side of the road between appointments so have time to respond...

That crab looks like a gorilla crab - could definitely be contributing to the problem - good luck with the trap!! My guess is that its not just one thing but several things that are contributing to your problems. Glad the lotion idea hit home, and hope you have better luck with the gloves! For the record, I have the gloves and they are huge on my hands, making it really hard not to squish or break things when I try to move them around, so I no longer use them and just avoid putting lotion on my hands at all during the day. I do often wonder if make up residue or soap residue gets into my tank when I put my hands in it, but so far no problems. I also have a pair of long tongs that I use to move stuff around whenever possible.

We will find out, won’t we…? I have long tongs and grabbers so, I don't have much of an excuse. just ...didn't realize... how much it of an effect it could cause....

As for the zoas, yeah, they may not have been healthy colonies. If you try some again, start them on the sandbed to acclimate to your lights, and make sure they get decent flow. Also, zoas are one of those corals that tend to do better in dirtier tank water. Running carbon and GFO might be making your tank too clean for the zoas, unless you are getting some from another local reefer who runs an exceptionally clean tank and has zoas thriving. If you have decent lights, I'd try some easy LPS corals - torch/hammer/frogspawn, duncan, trumpet or candycane, etc. You could also try a monticap or birdsnest - both of those tend to be easy SPS, though my own birdsnests are some of the first to retract polyps when tank chemistry is off. I just think zoas are so hit or miss and aren't necessarily a good barometer on how well or poorly your tank is doing!

That is interesting because I did some digging and had come to about the same conclusion. I was thinking after a waiting period to try torches, hammers, and frogspawns.. I hadn’t hit on duncans, trumpets, or candycanes yet. Plus I hear my clowns may adopt the torch or frogspawn. Good information Thank you. Now I have a longer list of choices... cool!

As for crap on the rocks, you can take a turkey baster or point a powerhead at them just before doing a water change to blow stuff off and into the water column. You can also buy less expensive powerheads to get more flow (like the hydor koralias) while waiting to save up enough money to get another vortex.

OK… that confirms several things to me. .. is a huge help. Yeah I bought a little Aqueon power head yesterday afternoon to move a little more water, but my flow isn’t all that bad.. now I look forward to another Vortex, they are so easy to set-up as required.

Finally, I think I might reconsider running the carbon and GFO 24/7. I think the only tanks that really have a need for that are heavily stocked SPS tanks. Some people only run carbon a few days a month to polish the water. I'm not convinced of the need for GFO, as I think there are other simplier and cheaper ways to control phosphates, but each to their own! I would think as long as you have a good skimmer (rated for double your tank volume) and run some chaeto in your sump with a light that you have on an opposite cycle from your DT, then that should keep things in check!

I don’t have a phosphate problem but my GFO is in tandem with my carbon and I wanted to run carbon a bit to remove my “hand lotion”. I will take your and other’s advice and shut it down this evening. I think I shall relax and let the tank mature and dirty up a little. I am running chaeto but my algae scrubber is starting to take effect and rob the chaeto of foods. I look forward to being able to harvest the algae from the scrubber to start a good anti-tox process. So, I guess I’m leaning towards that method as an additional safety measure.

Good post!! Thank you!

Last edited:
I don't really have anything to add here that hasn't already been said, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Its good to see you sticking with the hobby. I've been through a rough patch here myself lately and found myself asking if I should be in the hobby on more than one occasion. Encouragement from friends I've made here has kept me in

I don't really have anything to add here that hasn't already been said, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Its good to see you sticking with the hobby. I've been through a rough patch here myself lately and found myself asking if I should be in the hobby on more than one occasion. Encouragement from friends I've made here has kept me in

I know my self... I love a challenge... and I am driven by those moments of success when things are working as designed... though in this hobby those moments are .. ummmm... of a different nature... pun intended.

I must admit I had no idea this hobby would be this much of a challenge nor consume so much capital.

Last edited:
This might not be relevant, but the greatest increase in polyp extension, water clarity, stability, and growth all occurred when I left my tank alone for a month. I did nothing but small water changes once a week, and cleaning the skimmer cup/display tank glass. There is a certain maturity that comes with tank aging, and now I try to leave my tank alone as much as I can.

This might not be relevant, but the greatest increase in polyp extension, water clarity, stability, and growth all occurred when I left my tank alone for a month. I did nothing but small water changes once a week, and cleaning the skimmer cup/display tank glass. There is a certain maturity that comes with tank aging, and now I try to leave my tank alone as much as I can.

I think my tank is way too clean.. some of my life forms may be starving, in the past..

This clear water is with the GFO & carbon off for about an hour now, and the skimmer has been shut down for a couple of days.. The algae scrubber is doing all the work along with the LR reactor and refuge. I'm going to stay out and let it dirty up some.. so a good CUC will have enough to thrive on. I'll kick on the skimmer if I see any reason. My crushed coral sand is white.... still. I'm cleaning less and less algae off the glass. but the bottom is bright with shimmering LED light. A POD probe is on the to buy list.

And now I have an appointment...

Last edited:
Wait a sec, you have crushed coral in your tank? That's something you want to get rid of and replace with aragonite. While it might not be a problem now, it will cause you headaches down the road. I'd begin to siphon it out with water changes until you have it all out, then you can add in aragonite (I used a cup and added cup fulls in to my tank after it had been running for awhile and didn't have any trouble with cloudiness; others have used a long tube and funnel to add sand in to an already running tank and avoid cloudiness.

Also, I'd keep your skimmer running but turn off your reactors. The skimmer will pull out any nasty stuff (like hand lotion) and undissolved waste. A dirty tank doesn't necessarily mean an unskimmed tank!

Wait a sec, you have crushed coral in your tank? That's something you want to get rid of and replace with aragonite. While it might not be a problem now, it will cause you headaches down the road. I'd begin to siphon it out with water changes until you have it all out, then you can add in aragonite (I used a cup and added cup fulls in to my tank after it had been running for awhile and didn't have any trouble with cloudiness; others have used a long tube and funnel to add sand in to an already running tank and avoid cloudiness.

Also, I'd keep your skimmer running but turn off your reactors. The skimmer will pull out any nasty stuff (like hand lotion) and undissolved waste. A dirty tank doesn't necessarily mean an unskimmed tank!

Maybe it isn't crushed coral.. how can I tell?

I've got the skimmer off for a spell to kick the algae scrubber into gear. I'm watching it.

I copied and pasted this information from somewhere else....
Crushed coral is generally at least 3-4 millimeters.

Sand is generally 1 millimeter or less.

The information I'm finding is that crushed coral is the same as aragonite just the size is different. They are both Calcium Carbonite. Is this correct???

Yes, its about grain size - crushed coral is pebble size, like gravel that you would put in a fresh water tank. Aragonite is more like sand grain size that you'd find walking on the beach. They make sizes that are super small, like fine grained sugar size, as well that can sometimes be too fine and create too much dust / blow all over the place in the aquarium. You want to look for the sand size aragonite rather than the pebble sized substrate.

Surprisingly I am very good about keeping my dame hands out of the tank. Back in the dark ages...The 90's everyone used crushed coral and we all had tank crashes about every six to nine months...Since I got back into it in 2007 and use sand the only tank crash I have had was because of a heater boil. Also back in the 90s skimmers where air driven temperamental pos's if you had one of those new fangled things.

So apparently I do have aragonite, because my sand is uniform in size and is about 1 mm sized white-ish gravel looking stuff. :bounce:

Also, I may still have live shrimp somewhere because this AM there is a shrimp molt bumping around on that sand.

Last edited:
Ya know. The last year that I had my reef tank up was the best year it had.I didn't have time to mess it up. Barely had time to keep the top-off filled up. Didn't even feed the tank.But my corals exploded in size and color. The fish were fat and healthy. All because I didn't have time to stick my hands in there and mess it up.
No matter how hard we try, were not perfect. We make mistakes.And in trying to recreate natures master piece in our homes, we come up WAY short.

The moral of my story:
Keep your stinkin hands outta the dang tank :D

It wouldn't surprise me that you have shrimp still living in the tank. Shrimp by nature are nocturnal and there a lot of hiding places in a reef tank.

So my crab trap has managed to catch one of my hermits.. and.. my big hermit just showed up from who knows where for a few days...

I now need to release my captured pet.

Attachments

• clown & crab trap.jpg
    clown & crab trap.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 251
posting update:
This AM the water is crystal clear... this is a milestone for this tank. So.. while it is early... we have collectively reached another positive marker to indicate we are on the right track. This evening I will do a complete set of test kits, and post the results.

Promised test report on "our" tank...

at 8:30PM
temp.........................25.6°C = (78.08°f)
salinity......................33
pH............................8 --???
phosphates...............not detectable
alk...........................10
copper......................not
nitrite........................not
nitrate.......................not
ammonia..................not
cal...........................480
mag.........................1300

....so.. let's chat about this pH thing

Last edited: