ok.. something is not right..

I think anywhere from 7.8-8.4 is fine.

What I'm more concerned about is your salinity... 33?

How are you reading it? I guess I'm more used to seeing a specific gravity number like 1.026. If 33 is a different type of reading (like ppm), how does that compare to SG?

I think anywhere from 7.8-8.4 is fine.

What I'm more concerned about is your salinity... 33?

How are you reading it? I guess I'm more used to seeing a specific gravity number like 1.026. If 33 is a different type of reading (like ppm), how does that compare to SG?

The 33 is that scale on the other side of your refractometer scale.. and is just a smidge over 1.026. When I ask my best LFS how he keeps his many tanks so pristine, he said with a salinity of 33 to 34 and prefers it stay about 33. So I use that scale as my index to maintain salinity to match his for the sake of any purchases of live creatures from there, ....and to better relate with him in conversations.... we are both engineers ...... :). ....AND... Being an old man it is easier for me to read the salinity at 3/5 the way up between the 30 and the 35 mark.

No..... It is not ppm or any thing like that... it is % of the refractometer scale with 000 RODI being the absolute (or zero) at 25°C or 77°f. ... when the refractometer scale has been installed and set at the index of 1.3394 at 25°C for reading salt water salinity.

;) This is the scale you set your refractometer on at 35 as per instructions.. in my case... with the calibration solution.;)

Last edited:
Actually, that is salinity measured in parts per thousand - ppt (‰).
Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"Seawater's salinity is generally defined in parts per thousand by weight (ppt) or in practical salinity units (PSU), which often is shown simply as S=35, or whatever the value actually is. In this article I will mostly use ppt, because that more appropriately applies to solutions whose composition deviates greatly from seawater (such as sodium chloride solutions used to make certain standards).
The salinity on natural reefs has been discussed in a previous article. Based on such information, my recommendation is to maintain salinity at a natural level of about 35 ppt (abbreviated as ‰ and also as PSU, practical salinity units)."

Actually, that is salinity measured in parts per thousand - ppt (‰).
Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"Seawater's salinity is generally defined in parts per thousand by weight (ppt) or in practical salinity units (PSU), which often is shown simply as S=35, or whatever the value actually is. In this article I will mostly use ppt, because that more appropriately applies to solutions whose composition deviates greatly from seawater (such as sodium chloride solutions used to make certain standards).
The salinity on natural reefs has been discussed in a previous article. Based on such information, my recommendation is to maintain salinity at a natural level of about 35 ppt (abbreviated as ‰ and also as PSU, practical salinity units)."

Absolutely agreed... however... being that the scale on the right side is labeled as 0-100 it is accurate that you are reading a % of that scale.:)

It may be a little nit-picky, but I don't think saying it's a % of the scale is 100% accurate in all cases.

No..... It is not ppm or any thing like that...
It's ppt regardless of what the scale is on the refractormeter. If the scale only went to 50 or if it went to 200, it would still be 35 ppt, but no longer 35%. ;)

ok....:bowdown:..... ?

I mis-spoke the statement on ppt.. you are correct.

However in my case (two values being equal to the same value are equal) it is readable in % of scale. In fact, all scales are readable in % of scale. I'm betting yours is 0-100 also. ...".if they were" is not applicable when speaking of resolution.

Enough on this .... let us move on to more constructive and gainful conversations.

Last edited:
Actually. :mrgreen:
Measuring the salinity in ppt is going to be more accurate than measuring the specific gravity. The specific gravity can be manipulated just by changing the temperature of the water. Warm salt water is lighter than cold salt water of the same salinity.
I used to keep my tank at a salinity of 35 ppt. Which is pretty close to 1.026 specific gravity.

Who knew! Thanks for the info ccCapt and Yote, I guess I'll have to start reading the right hand side of the refractometer instead of the left!

Just for fun... the reason I tend to lean towards % of scale (it is a personal thing) is because we visually digest that kind of proportions better.

This is IMO why bar graphs are so popular and used in meetings so much. It seems to me, while we can process estimated data from a graph by reading the values on the boarders, visually and at a distance we instantly see proportions (%) of the min to max. These proportions tells "need to" whatever change, or "that will do" almost instantly. and.. in many cases that is all we really want to know. We are not actually interested in an exact numerical value.

Point being... when I look into my refractometer I see the color change a little closer to the 35 mark than the 30 mark and, release my breath, then do the next test.
"If truth be told", I think many process what they see in the meter like this.

This is not an excuse for the mistaken statement I made... I screwed that up..:D:Cheers:

So the real reason for this post:
My LR is beginning to get (actually there is a fairly good crop) the redish-brownish-velvet looking algae on it. Is that the "coaloline", I'm looking for?? Please clue me in. .and how do you spell that?

Last edited:
OK.. I'll have a better look later... I'm not sure yet... I have to go now.. thank guys.

OK guys and gals, here is a picture of the stuff... with a extension grabber some rubs of some may not. shrugg..

Attachments

• algae 1.jpg
    algae 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 266
If you blow water on it with your turkey baster or point a powerhead right at it and it comes off then its cyano. If you have to scrape it and work at it to get it off, then its likely coralline. But if it feels soft and velvety as you describe then my only other thought is that its some sort of sponge. I can't really tell from the pics...

Just going on the pic. But it looks like it could be red turf. It's nearly impossible to remove and kinda feels like velvet.
If that what it is, Sen has a thread on his fight with it. If it is turf, it'll be tough to get rid of.

Back