Overflow kit question(s)

Kizmar

#derpface
So, I have two factory overflows in my tank and an Aqueon MegaFlow kit in each. I just noticed today that one of the drains is set probably an inch or more lower then the other (referring to the part of the kit that runs to the sump - Figure 1 below).

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to this fact while I was setting everything up. My main goal at the time was to make room for the Loc-Line return hoses that end up running directly over the drain pieces.

Anyway, I noticed this because the side that's lower is "surging" - meaning the water level inside the overflow fluctuates up and down up to two inches. Sometimes the fluctuation is slow, sometimes it's fast resulting is a flushing sound. The other side stays the same level at all times.

That's kind of a long-winded path to the following questions:

1. What's the ideal drop/height for a drain portion of an overflow kit? (How do you know when it's set properly?)
  2. Is the difference in height causing the surging on the side that's set lower?
  3. Is it even remotely possible that the surging side could be a culperit in the micro bubbles I'm still seeing in my tank?
AgAdjDrain.jpg
Figure 1

Back