Pair of Angels?

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
So I know I want to add a Flame Angel to my 90, but I've been reading on centropyge.net that, similar to clowns, angels can do really well in pairs if paired up young. The centropyge website also notes that if angels are kept in pairs, the aquarist is able to observe social behaviors that would otherwise be absent if an angel is kept alone. Any opinions on keeping a pair of Flames in a 90? Any experience out there?

I think you would have to find a pair that were collected together, I think you would have issues buying two single Flames and trying to get them to pair up. Even if you could pair them up, I don't think there is a good way to know if a particular fish you are looking at is male or female.

That's two bad, a pair of Potter's angels would be bitchin', I love my single Potters

Again, centropyge.net says that when young, angels are hermaphroditic, and if buying younger fish they will "decide" which sex they want to be and the male will end up larger than the female. Just pulling from that website, but the author seems to have experience with the dwarf angels and seems to know his stuff..........and you're right, a pair of Potter's would ROCK!

I think you might have trouble finding young angels. Most of the ones I see are juveniles and its much harder to get younger fish to adapt to tank life and thrive

+1 Hannah. I was just about to say, I've never really seen them for sale small. You might have to special order them that size from your LFS.

There's a guy over on RC that has had some pretty good success pairing up dwarf angels. He's got several pairs in his tank, as well as a trio of flame angels. What he does, is in a separate tank, puts in his angel then in an acclimation box adds a considerably smaller angel till they get used to each other and then lets it free in the tank with each other. If they get along together after a while, they get moved to his display tank. If not, they get separated. It's not something you'll have 100% success with but, it's worked pretty well for him. This method has also worked for some people getting larger angels together. I plan on using this same method to pair up 3 types of angels when I finally get my tank upgrade.

Thanks for that super useful tip, Brian! I think i'm going to try that. I would luuuuuuv to have a beautiful pair of angels swimming around my tank, and I have nothing but time to try my hand at it! If I get my chocolate tang next week, it will be at least a month or two before I want to add anything else, and I can use that time to try pairing a couple angels.

So far, the angels I've seen people having success with this method have been Multicolor, Potter's, Flame, Coral Beauty, Regal, Goldflake, and Emperor angels.

I'm going to try the flames. If no luck with that, i'll try the coral beauties and see how that pans out. I wonder if it would work with lemonpeels............

Thanks for that super useful tip, Brian! I think i'm going to try that. I would luuuuuuv to have a beautiful pair of angels swimming around my tank, and I have nothing but time to try my hand at it! If I get my chocolate tang next week, it will be at least a month or two before I want to add anything else, and I can use that time to try pairing a couple angels.

Ooooo, does this mean you got in touch with LA and they reserved the LP mimic for you???

I did get in touch with them, but they were unable to tell if my order got filled. I won't know until Monday night when they would send the shipping notification. The waiting is KILLING me! I am not a patient person, and not knowing is no fun!

So, any news?? I'd be going crazy!

If you didn't hear anything, there is a pair of flame angels listed on the sneak peak list for today ;)

No news yet. And right now i'm sick enough that I don't have the energy to care. My little man is acting much better since his e.r.visit, but now mama and daddy have come down with an entirely unrelated case of the creeping crud. Been running a 102 degree fever all day. So i'm pretty meh right now.......

No news yet. And right now i'm sick enough that I don't have the energy to care. My little man is acting much better since his e.r.visit, but now mama and daddy have come down with an entirely unrelated case of the creeping crud. Been running a 102 degree fever all day. So i'm pretty meh right now.......

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear that you are sick :( Feel better soon!

Northstar,

Do you have pics of your tank on the site? How long have you had your Copperband Butterfly & what is the secret to keeping butterflies happy?

Thats probably going to be my goal is to keep healthy happy Butterfly's.

Yes, search the site for 'Operation Nemo' and you'll find my 180. I need to update my signature, because the Copperband did not really acclimate well. I went against my judgement and bought one hoping it would help with constant Aipstaisa issues I have been having. My Achilles beat it up pretty good, and I wasn't able to get it eating well enough to live long term. All said, it was in my tank for about 2.5 weeks. Honestly, believe what you read - the key to keeping them happy is keeping them in the ocean

Back on topic - Samhain - Diver's Den had a pair of Flame Angels last night, they sold pretty quick. It was $199.99 for the pair

Last edited:
Yup! I saw that. Since I haven't received my tang at this point in time, I am assuming that my order was not completed. That means it's time to start looking for something else that can qualify for free shipping!

Back