percula misbar clown harassing hermit crab

newbie 18

Reefing newb
This evening I noticed that the female of my clownfish pair was harassing one of the blue leg hermit crabs, to the point that she pushed him to the other side of the tank, prodding him with her nose. My wife flipped the crab back over, moved him to the other end of the tank and the clown got right back to it harassing the same crab:dunno: Any reason that she would take to this behavior of picking on this specific crab?

Hm, who knows with clowns, is the crab invading her territory?? Is she hosting something?? does she have eggs she is protecting??

I thought maybe she is nesting but she hasn't seemed to stay in one spot for any period during the day. The crab was on the substrate and she just kept him moving all the way across the tank. She is a mid to high level out in the open swimmer most of the time when the lights are on. She spends her nights in the treasure chest. I feed the frozen food every other day and the water quality is very good.

My money is on the treasure chest.

I'm guessing the treasure chest as well for nesting. But harassing the crab was something I hadn't noticed before yesterday and she was persistently pushing him along. Also, the one time I noticed her doing her nesting thing, moving the substrate around the proceeding to lay in that spot, it was st the opposing end of the tank, close to the treasure chest, from where the harassing began. Let's just say, I have found the clowns 6much more interesting than what I expected when I purchased them!:D

Back