Petco Fools

BigH55

I'm that guy
My buddy bought a Golden Moray Eel at petco for $19. The store marked it as a snowflake. How many of you would have actually confessed and told them what it really was. I would have bought it and went directly to the LFS and got some sweet trade.

well... to be honest the fault may not have totally been Petco's fault. As a former petco employee I have placed orders that got shipped incorrectly (supplier was retarded I guess) and received purple firefish instead of regulars, a shipment of 12 cleaners that was supposed to be peppermints, and once a blonde naso instead of a normal naso.

And in all three of those instances I was told to sell it as the SKU it arrived as.... so it really depends....

But yeah.... you can pick up some awesome stuff at chain stores if you know what you're looking at :P

I still hate eels...

I told them that a coral beauty was the same as a Flame angel, and got it for $15. Its funny because a picture pops up on the screen at the checkout and they still didnt know.

The good thing about petco is their prices on some items...the bad thing is everything you buy is sick. So there are pros and cons.

Eh. When I was in my early stages of this hobby, I got a few fish at Petco. I'd say about half of my Petco fish died within a day or two. The rest...well... A pair of firefish, two pajama cardinals, a coral beauty, a kole tang, a sixline wrasse and a sailfin tang, are still with me, years later!! As for fish that I bought at my "real" LFS, the only deaths I've had of those guys were jumpers, and I bought fish from them from the beginning too. So there's DEFINITELY a difference in quality/health of the fish in my area Petcos, at least.

And most of those Petco fish I bought on impulse because their prices were mismarked!! I think I paid $15 for the kole and sailfin tangs.

a friend of mine picked up 2 elegance corals at petco about 4 months ago...... $15 for both!!! one died already, but the other looks healthy still and is doing well........

I think if you take the chance of buying a fish from Petco, just make sure to quarantine them, just in case your local petco doesn't quarantine long enough. When I go there to get dog food, I always peek at the fish area, and sometimes I will see a tank marked "Quarantine", so I know they at least do quarantine. But of course, judging by their inconsistent quality of fish by area, better be safe and quarantine again....or at least a dip.

nothing is more expensive than a dead fish. I don't buy fish at petco, and I didn't use to ;)

no offense BigH, working at Petco was always fun because you always had a great example of how NOT to set up a tank!

I dont buy them there either. It was a story i heard from a friend. No offense taken. Just an illistration of how much they dont know about what they sell.

I got my dwarf lion from petco for $9.99, because "it must be a 'rockfish'. The SKU came up as "Live Rock". tee hee!
That was the last fish I bought from there, actually. QT? What's that? ;)

Back