pH problem again

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
When I was using Instant Ocean, my freshly mixed RO/DI water parameters are:

pH 8.4-8.5
dKH at 13 (KH 260ppm, Alkalinity 4.64 meq/l)

Now that I switched to Oceanic, my freshly mixed (and with powerhead mixing it for 1-2 days):

pH is 7.9 (at 78F sg 1.0245)
dKH at 12 (KH 240ppm, Alkalinity 4.28 meq/l)

What's a good additive to increase the pH?

I don't know if this helps you out at all, but I remember reading in one of the technical articles that sometimes low pH is a result of poor air circulation rather than just not using the right additives. Something about how having ripples at the top of your tank is not enough, especially if you have stale air sitting there; so by setting up a fan or by placing your tank in an area with good circulation, you can improve your pH levels. However, this may be super common knowledge and you may know that already, so disregard this paragraph if you do. :mrgreen:

Not having a lot of experience with different products myself, I've been using this Reef Pure Marine pH Buffer stuff from WM Research that has been working really well in my tank. My LFS was telling me that it's good because it used less heavy metals or something; could've been blowing smoke up my :shock:, but it seems to be working well.

dissolved oxygen in the water does affect PH, correct.

try mixing the two salts, IO has high alk low calcium and oceanic is the opposite, together they're amazing..... the "Miracle Mix". That's what i did on my last tank and it was great!

It's for water that's just mixed with salt, not in the tank yet. When I was using Instant Ocean, I was able to lower the pH a little bit by using a power head. Now that the pH is little too low with Oceanic, the power head trick doesn't help any more. That's why I want to see if there are any additive that you use to increase the pH.

Are you making sure to check the PH at the same time of day as well? The lighting will also affect PH quite a bit (why a lot of people run fuges on opposite schedules). What are your CA, MG, and dKH levels?

I could be wrong but I believe using pH 8.2 by API will stabilize you. I use it every so often but I can't find anything on the container about what it will do to your other parameters. Seems to work well though, and my reef doesn't seem to mind it.

When I was using Instant Ocean, my freshly mixed RO/DI water parameters are:

What's a good additive to increase the pH?

If your looking for something that is basically free, you can use some baked baking soda. I baked some in the oven at 350 for a couple of hours and then I stored it in a little container for later use as needed. For my tank I mix a teaspoon up in a cup of tank water and pour it in my sump return section.

I've been having a slightly low ph problem for awhile. I added a mesh bag about with some crushed coral to my sump. After about a week in the sump ph is finally staying over 8, I'd assume it will get better next week

Last edited:
Baking soda will definitely increase your alkalinity, just so you know. :) Try opening your windows when it's not too hot out-- fresh air will work wonders on pH. Or, get a chunk of chaetomorpha (a macro algae) and throw it in your sump.

7.9 isn't a bad place to be ideally 7.8 to 8.4 is good. Your PH will not be the same constantly. But if you must keep it more exact I would use a PH Buffer such as Kent marine PH marine buffer.

Do be careful in using baking soda, it does work just use it very slowly. I've seen baking soda over used and crash tanks.

Baking soda will definitely increase your alkalinity, just so you know. :) Try opening your windows when it's not too hot out-- fresh air will work wonders on pH. Or, get a chunk of chaetomorpha (a macro algae) and throw it in your sump.

I monitor my Alk readings regularly and my alk has stayed in acceptable levels. I was under the impression that Baking soda baked in the oven won't drastically effect the ALK. Am I wrong?

I monitor my Alk readings regularly and my alk has stayed in acceptable levels. I was under the impression that Baking soda baked in the oven won't drastically effect the ALK. Am I wrong?

It'll raise the alkalinity.But more importantly,it'll shoot the PH sky high for a while if you add it too quick.
I use 2 teaspoons of baked baking soda every night to keep my alkalinity stable.I mix it in 2 cups of water,then slowly add it to the the sump.Usually takes about 2 hours to get the whole 2 cups added.Sometimes I'll even set up a little drip line if I dont have time to do it manually.

I see. I'm gonna bake 1 teaspoon tonight and try it out and see how much effect on mine.

What's the purpose of baking the baking soda?

I see. I'm gonna bake 1 teaspoon tonight and try it out and see how much effect on mine.

What's the purpose of baking the baking soda?

Baking it helps to get the carbon dioxide out of the baking soda. When I make some up I usually just take some fresh baking soda and put a layer on the bottom of a glass baking dish. After about an hour I stir it up and cook it some more. Let it cool and then store it in an old dry juice bottle for later use.

I don't use more than 1 teaspoon at a time for my 150 gal tank. If you try it you might want to start by dissolving no more than about an half of teaspoon.

Back