Phosban Reactor 150 questions

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
so I have heard that you should set it to have your phosban tumble slightly. What is the reason for this. RIght now I have my reactor almost filled up with carbon first and phosban after and there is not any tumbling. I can set my powerhead higher, but I am just wondering why it makes a difference? I would think that tumbling would give water a better chance of dodging thru the granules and escaping without being "cleaned" rather than it having to squeeze thru a thick layer.

Your thinking is just the opposite of what you need. It tumbles so it can come in contact with as much media as it can instead of going around it. If it is not tumbling in the reactor, you need to empty some out or increase the flow slightly until it starts to gently tumble

Sounds to me its too full. I usually fill mine no more than half way

You want to set the pump so that the GFO is just barely moving. You don't want to push water through it at a rate that the water flow pushes the media out and into your system.

+1 Reefrookie

If it isnt tumbling, the water going through it will create channels. And there will be dead space where water isnt getting to.

Same reason why you want the turbulance in the skimmer. To increase contact time.

Imagine that you are trying to walk through a crowded shopping mall. Everyone is going in different directions and you bump into more people than if you are walking down a hallway in a school where everyone is walking in the same direction.

also if it is not tumbling it will turn into a rustball if it is GFO some of them are aluminum based but the GFO is iron

Back