Powerhead question for newbie

Yea, hex tanks don't fit under popular saltwater tanks, but there is a lot of nano tanks on here and you get to know folks and get the answers you want. Your choice.
I know never to overload a tank with fish...I learned that many years ago with freshwater...I just want something nice looking...not fancy

Did my first water test today...looking good so far...nitrites a bit high (somewhere between .25-.5)...brought a sample to the LFS and they read the same thing (just wanted to make sure I was testing correctly)...PH, salt and temp are perfect...Im guessing by the end of the week everything should be 000000's.....hopefully

I was more suprised that the LFS told me to wait a week before I purchase a fish...his words were "If you get anything new theres a 90% chance itll be dead by tomorrow...but your levels should be good by the weekend"...guess the place is semi respectable...in the mean time i purchased another 3 lbs of live rock and organized it into a U shape in the tank...3 bridges for them to swim...and my powerhead seems to be working ok so far...

Yes, all of your nitrogen levels (NH4, NO3, NO2) should be 0. Would something die? A clown or damsel? Probably not. An angel or shrimp? Most likely. But, I would agree and wait.

I didnt buy anything (eventhough my 5 year old daughter was egging me on)...I figured on my next set of days off (starting sunday) Ill retest and go from there...off topic...that piece of shrimp i put in a few days ago...remove it or leave it?

At this point it's really up to you, your ammonia has spiked now it's the nitrites and then nitrates there's no harm in pulling it out. And not much benefit to leaving it unless it's making you squeamish ( I know how you younger guys are now days ):D

Was moving the rocks around and I forgot i placed it in there...scared the crap out of me..I thought it was a huge worm that i somehow missed on a live rock...its in the back so you cannot really see it...ill let it sit there and the crabs can eat for weeks...lol

And I had the hex...I cannot fit a larger tank in my house at the moment without pissing off the wife...
That used to be me, now I am the aquarist in the house with the nice tank. The man has a small tank. Which I maintain anyhow.....said he wanted it and then never took care of it.....husbands.

Back