Predatory Bristleworm

Jonah

Reefing newb
I've introduced a small male fiddler crab into my 300l set up today , I have a bicolor blenny a regal tang a powder brown a coral beauty and a pair of perculas ( all small ) and a banded coral shrimp as well as some mushrooms some xenia and some other mixed polyps. I reently lost a fijian damsel that I found dead in a cloud of mucus under a piece of living rock which I know hosts a bristleworm or two ?
I've watched tonight as the fiddler crab has appeared to have met the same fate , the crab appeared to get entwined in the mucus whilst the worm harrassed it and before I could break up the contest the rab and worm disappeared under the rock and a loud of mucus was disturbed to float around the tank !
I'm still in shock , has anyone had an experience similar to this , the worm in question is only approx 3mm wide and it's at least 50mm in length although I fear I haven't seen it all .

Bristleworms will not kill fish and crabs. They may eat at them after they are dead though. Sounds like you have some other problem. "Mucus" doesn't tell us much. You may need to move some rock or look in there at night with a red light to see what is going on.

Back