Protein Skimmer

BuddaTurk

Turk of Budda
OK,

So should I get the Octopus NW or the ASM? Both will be in sump as I have 25" of height below my stand.

What's the most reputable online dealer with reasonable prices? My LFS think Octopuses are pieces of crap and wants me to buy an ASM G3 for 299.

Thanks,
BT

Octopus is way better than an ASM, any LFS that gives that advice is not looking after your best interest and is simply trying to get your money. Not to mention that the Octopus NW-200 is better than a G3 and its $200 online. Find a new LFS that isn't going to try and rip you off.

Like Mccrary,I would go with the Octopus skimmer.Obviously,your LFS is trying to sell you a skimmer they sell but Octopus are better than ASM skimmers and cheaper to boot.

Those Octopus skimmers are hot,hot,hot!I'm not sure what online vendor has them in stock at the moment.Premium Aquatics do sell them,I use them all the time-a good reputable online vendor.

I have an Octopus and LOVE it. It works great. I'd highly recommend it over an ASM, which are much more expensive.

I didn't buy my Octopus online though. I researched prices online, found the site that sold the one I wanted for the cheapest, printed the page out and brought it to my LFS. Then my LFS ordered me one directly from the manufacturer and charged me the lowest price that I found online, and I ended up saving money because I didn't have to pay tax or shipping.

FYI...that is not the original NW200. It's an updated version with the narrower neck. While it will perform good out of the box, you can't do any mods to it to increase the air/water intake and thereby increase perfomance drastically.
Here is the original NW200 that can take the mods.

Anyone that says this is comparable to a Coralife SuperSkimmer never owned both. I did...and can tell you these skimmers are in 2 different classes. Octo is cheaper and 100x better. NW200=$200, CSS220=$210. It's a no brainer!

What if I just want a protein skimmer I don't have to make modifications to?? I mean I am not all that handy. I just want one that pulls the gunk out!

Thanks,
BT

You don't need to make mods to the Octopus skimmers. I'm not a DIY person at all, and I've never modded any equipment in my life. My Octopus still works great.

Like Biffer said, you don't need to make any changes to it. They work great right out of the box. If you don't want to mess with it at all, you would be better off going with the newer version. It already has 1 of the mods done to it at the factory.

Back