Protein Skimmer.

RYknow

Reefing newb
Hey all! I'm new here and looking for some advice. First off, here is my tank/info.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/introduce-yourself/14304-hey-all-another-noobie-p.html

Now, I'm looking into getting a protein skimmer as I've read that everyone seems to have one for when they start getting into corals and such. This ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+13924&pcatid=13924 ) is the protein skimmer that I'm looking at. Before I drop a bunch of cash on one of these, can someone quickly explain to me what a protein skimmer acctually does? Is this a good protein skimmer?

Secondly. I'd like to upgrade my lighting. I'm looking at this ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12772&pcatid=12772 ) fixture (216watt 48" setup.). Would it be wise to get the light before I get the protein skimmer? Is that the best fixture for the price? Any input you have would be great!

Thanks,
-RYknow

A protein skimmer removes the proteins and other organic wastes from the aquarium before they have a chance to break down into more harmful elements, such as ammonia and nitrite.

I don't have that skimmer so I'm going with what others had to say.It's a decent skimmer for the money.They are pretty finicky and needs some adjusting especially early on.I would get the skimmer first myself,corals and proper lighting can wait until you have the funds.At $200,that is going to be the best fixture for the price
,at least better than a PC fixture.If you want to be unlimted,you're going to have to spend alot more,at least $200 more.That fixture over a 90gal.,good enough for soft corals and some LPS.It will not be enough light for SPS corals,clams and anemones.

Good skimmer for the price. I'd buy the skimmer first and the lights second. T5s will be fine for your tank, but with a 90 gallon tank, you're getting into the area where metal halides could be even better. But halides are more expensive, run hotter and the bulbs need to be replaced more often.

Those are good skimmer for the money.But like already stated,their touchy.Twist the adjustment to much one way and you get a flood,to much the other way and it dont pull nothing.But all in all,I like my super skimmers.I'm running 2 of em on my tank.

Yote, how big is your tank? Your info says 75, is that right? If so, howcome your running dual skimmers? Will I need two on my setup? I was hoping to pick up the largest of the three models that Foster&Smith's has.

-RYknow

A 90 gallon with a decent bioload will max out the SS220, Yote is probably running two skimmers to help skim out all the food that is put in. Two small skimmers are not going to be as good as a single larger skimmer. The reason for this is that larger skimmers usually have longer dwell time, which can remove organics that are harder to skim out. A FOWLR tank doesn't require water quality that a reef tank does, so a skimmer like the SS220 should work if you keep up on water changes, but you might also consider the Bermuda Rogue or the Octopus HOB. As for lights, T5's are good lights, but the light system you are looking at doesn't use individual reflectors, you might also want a T5 system that uses 6 or 8 bulbs.

just my 2 cents
i have a skimmer similar to the one you are looking at and hate it
i am constantly screwing with it
and like stated, turn too much one way and the cup is filled in an hour with water
to much the other way and you skim nothing

i just posted a poll and im looking at the aqua c ev series or the octopus
i would recomend spending the extra hundred bucks now

check out marinedepot.com

like i said though it merely my humble opinion

Could I get some links for the Octopus or the Bermuda Rogue? I just want to check them out. I don't see them at Dr Fosters and smith, or marine depot?

RYknow

Cool, thanks for the link. I need a HOB I think (assuming HOB stands for, Hangs on Back). I don't have a sump, just two Emperor 400's.

-RYknow.

I use that website all the time.They are good reputable online vendor.

Yes,HOB is short for ''hang on back''.The Octopus HOB skimmer is one of the best HOB,at a good price too.

The Deltec MCE600 is probably the best HOB that I know of, but its pricey, you definitely pay an extra few bucks for it.

HOLY CRAP!!! Yea, the MCE600 looks like a good skimmer, and the reviews are great for it, but there is no way I can throw $500 or more at a skimmer. I'm having a hard time talking the g/f into letting me spend $200 on one. Money is tight, and the tank needs quite a few things still (lighting, LR, skimmer...more LR:frustrat:).

-RYknow

Back