Punked - A rocky question

badmeowth

Reefing newb
I am gathering base rock for my 65 gallon setup. I saw a 35 lb rock at my lfs, and bought it thinking to break it up at home. Well, I was able to break all of my other larger tufa rocks using hammer and screwdriver. However, this thing won't break lol! I even took a 45 lb weightlifting plate to it, and it barely nicked it after a million hits. I resized the pics before posting, so sorry if it blows up full size somehow.

1.jpg

18.jpg

The sucker. It doesn't look that big in this pic until....

22.jpg

The little rock on the upper right is the average size of most of the other rocks in my tank

1. Do you guys think the tempered bottom glass of my aquarium can support this beast, and if so, should I lay some eggcrate underneath it? I heard tempered glass is strong, but ....

2. Should I just scrap this rock and use it in my oscar fish tank

3. Is there some other magical way to break this sucker up.

I would set it up so that as much of it is in contact with the bottom as to spread the PSI load its not flat enough you could use small pvc pipe pieces to help spread the load.

You could try a hammer drill with a masonry bit to bore a hole in it to weeken it. Then take a hammer like a 5 or 7 poumd slegde with a cold chisle to it. If that doent work, Go to home depot and rent a small jack hammer. That would take care of it real quick

Brian

are there any drawbacks to simply putting this rock in my tank, filtration wise? I heard that very large rocks have big dead spots under them. What if I do the pvc pipe grid to raise this off the sand bed. If this massive thing can decently support living organisms, then I can get by without breaking it up.

otherwise, its Armageddon style

thanks for the help guys!

Back