Putter's first tank

Once GSP get establish they will spread like wildfire.I had GSP run over and suffocated just about every small corals-mushrooms,zoanthids,palythoas and yellow colony polyps etc.Right now,I have them isolated but they still want to crawl across the sandbed.Nice coral in all but they are aggressive...the choice is yours.

you can keep them in check with Joe's Juice - it kills aptasia, and just about anything else you put it on. Decide the limits of where you want the GSP to stay and turn off your powerheads and dose the line when the GSP get too close. it will kill off about a inch thick line so use it carefully. I like GSP for my FOWLR cuz nothing I keep eats them.

-Doc

wow, maybe a different choice in coral would be best here, certainly don't want it taking over the tank, have some of joe's juice here just in case of a break out of aptasia. Will have to look things over again and see if there is a place to place this thing safely.

it really is a great starting coral if planned well, same with yellow star polyps. care needs to be taken with any fast spreading soft coral, like silver tipped (or pulsing) xenia. It seems like the corals we want to grow fast don't and the ones we don't want to spread fast do

-Doc

Will move a rock or 2 around, should be able to find space for it away from the other rocks. Do all LPS sit in the sand bed?

no. many like to be in the middle of the rock work. gonis do best in the sand bed, or near the bottom. hammers can be in either place, same with frogspawn. trumpets mid level, bubble corals mid level. Just check with the retailer about each coral you want or read up on them before purchasing. Worst case scenario, ask us and we can give you two or three different answers! :mrgreen:

-Doc

LOL thanks doc, the reason I asked is because the ones I was looking at online today all seemed to like the sand bed.

One thing to keep in mind.No matter what a web site says or a retailer tells you,every tank is different and you may have to move your choice of coral up or down in the tank to find its happy place.

Ok finaly got my order in, I now have this chemi pure elite, will place a couple bags of it into the can filter, question is, how long should I run it for?

I run mine 1.5 weeks a month.I'm not 100% sure if its anything like carbon which strips the water of trace elements as well as the bad-organic waste.

ok so is a matter of personal preferance. Just got the magnificent fox face and the second nemo into the QT and the 4 new corals placed ruffly in the DT tank, man this is some work out LOL 4 hrs of go to get 7 things acclimated and settled. Will take some pics tomorrow and if you all don't mind you can suggest correct placements.

ok here are a few pics of the new fishes.

IMG_0003-4.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Notice any thing wierd with it's eye, never having seen one before I am unsure if the light part near the front of the eye is normal.

IMG_0001-2.jpg

Nemo 2 in the background, he is eating fine this morning and I did notice the fox face grab a bit of hair algae from one of the rocks, but he has not touched the algae sheet on the clip at all yet.

foxface looks great. his eye looks ok to me. I have a lavender tang that picks at the rocks all day long but will never eat nori sheets that I throw in there

OK and a few shots of the corals.

florida blue
IMG_0009.jpg

zoanthid?
IMG_0013-1.jpg

Mushroom?
IMG_0011.jpg

and the GSP?
IMG_0012-2.jpg

now a tank shot, the upper left is the mushroom, center top is the GSP, center middle is the florida blue and the zoanthid is lower right. Now I think I had them confused last night, I think I need to change the purple on upper middle with the greenish colored one in the lower right, on the sand bed.

IMG_0014-3.jpg

IMG_0015-3.jpg

MAN I need a tripod...sorry for the nasty pics.

Thanks doc, I kind of thought that a week was normal, at the same time hoping some one would tell me that as long as they are eating and spot free it would be ok:D Anyhow, another question popped into my head while reading another thread on the forums here, I have a DKH of 9, how do I convert that to ALK? Is DKH of 9 to low? PH is 8.4 and Calc is 450. As well, what can I toss into the tank to keep the snails fed up while the algae blooms are down?

Love the GSP:DYou could use a tripod,i have a regular digital camera and mine turn out fine?Your rock also looks like its getting some great color.

Back