Putter's first tank

Those are just trochus snails and not true turbo snails.You don't have to many.

I would use all three Koralias in your tank.I wouldn't use the purple up unless you test the calcium first.If its low use it,if not,don't use it.Using some floss will clear up the fine particles and carbon will help reduce the smell,if you have any.

Thanks Reef, I have no smell, just lots of fine stuff floating about, I have no easy way of getting filter floss here so I may just run the carbon cartridge for a bit to clear it up, will make sure to get some floss on one of my next orders. I now have a total of 4 Koralias in the tank, 3 #3's and a #2, I have them on either end, one on each end pointing down and towards the middle and one on each end pointing up and towards the middle, I am thinking this should be enough flow now as the substrate is start to move around a bit in places, is this kind of what I looking for? The calc levels so far in the tank have been around 430, if I am doing the tests correctly, but being as I have never done these before it is entirely possable that I am messing them up a bit lol. I will run another full set of tests this weekend to see how things are shaping up.

Putter, to help promote fast growth of coralline in your tank get a nice piece of rock full of it or if you have the chance to steal a friend's back wall coralline piece you can brake it like powder and throw it in your tank. Or you can take the piece of rock and brush it up inside the tank. Then start using Purple Up. Purple up does not contain or create coralline, it just help to grow the existent one. Sorry if I misspelled or something doesn't make sense.

I have coralline on some of the rock in my tank now, at least I think thats what it is, so I was just hoping to boost the growth a bit with purple up. As far as borrowing from a friend, well as far as I know I am the only one within a 350 kilometer radius that has a SW tank :(

If you have it on your rock it will spread when the conditions are right. I would bet with all that rock you will have more in there than you think. Coraline comes in many different colors like pink, lime green and purple. BTW the tank looks awsome!!

Calcium of 430 is about perfect.I wouldn't dose purple up now or if you do.Use it sparingly.Coralline will come,its just going to take some time.

If you keep having problems keeping the sand from getting blown around,maybe use only three of the Koralias.

I have found that the higher the Calcium, the faster the coralline grows. Mine started after 4 weeks and is still going strong.

-Doc

If you really want to see coralline explode.Check your magnesium levels.Keep it between 1280 and 1380 along with the proper calcium and alkalinity,and the stuff will grow like crazy.

Just got back after a 4 days away and the tank still has alot of fine particals, moved the power heads and added some filter floss in a hob style filter in the sump, hope that helps clear it up. More stuff on the rocks now, some puple some green, some brown on the glass...going to have to put the stock on hold for another week as I have to take off again on Thursday for a few days, after that I will be able to stock with some luck. Thanks for the info on the purple up, I have some of that on order as well so I may dose it a bit to see if it makes a difference, can't hurt any by the sounds of it...thanks again for the advice.

Ok the latest check on the water,

PH 8
Phos .1
Calc 430
ALK 10
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15 well between 10 and 25 so....
Ammonia 0

So should I do a water change now or wait until I am ready to put critters in? Should I be adding anything to keep the bio end of things going being as I don't have any critters yet? It will be at least another week before I can add critters and or fishes.

I'd go a head and do a pretty good water change,then get a fish or 2 in there as soon as you can.I doubt you'll lose any bacteria,but it wouldnt hurt to something for it to eat either.

Throw a teensy amount of fish food in there while you waiting to stock it.That should keep the bacteria population going until then.

Thanks guys, fed it a little food tonight, will do a 20% water change tomorrow night and then stock it next week if things go as planned, by then the snails will have lots to eat as I can now see alot of algae growth. In fact I need to take a picture of this one rock, it has green circles growing on it...almost like little mini buttons....looks kinda cool.

Is this just algae? sory for the poor photos.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

maybe some kind of maze moon or something like that. I cannot tell from the pic. Doesn't look like algae though

-Doc

I was hoping it was something other than algae, It has the appearance of a small button, will have to try more photos once the water clears up a bit more and or I obtain a new camera.

Back