PVC GLUE.. Is it Reef Safe?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have only read that it is safe.

I am planning to build a Bubble Trap idea outside the sump and be able to place it in the sump. I was going to use Acrylic Glue but can't find it and then I thought I would just use the Aquarium Silicone but I really want something more powerful that will solidify the joints.

I then thought why not use PVC glue since it should be able to melt the Acrylic together.

It is going to be sitting in the saltwater forever so I was wondering just how "Reef Safe" it is.

We do use it to put the plumbing together so how would it fair in the sump?

PVC Glue, when hardened and applied to PVC is NSF certified, meaning it's okay to drink/eat from and I would assume would also be reef safe. I do not think it would work to hold acrylic together as it would be something completely different.

I called a glass shop and they said they had to use PVC glue because they made a mess with the Acylic Glue. Acrylic bonding can get messy, the stuff is like water.

I figured the PVC wold work because it soften the plastic. I can at least try now since 100% of what I read says yes. I can always put a layer of aquarium safe sealer over it for extra strength and security.

Yeah well you are right the PVC Glue had no effect on the Acrylic. It did have a tiny effect but the glue didn't hold.

So The way the unti fits together allows me to let the silicone dry nice.

I will post photos in the thread I posted with the diagrams.

I think it is going well and fitting nicely. The Lowes guys aren't the best cutters. They sometimes cut it and don't take the care they need to.

Back