Qt

Sashimi

Reefing newb
I'm looking at getting a 37 gallon eclipse aquarium for a QT. The dimensions are 20" long x 10" deep and 24" tall. I'm concerned with how deep the tank is. I do plan on keeping corals and anemone in the future. Would any of these be a better option?

Fluval Spec V Aquarium Kit in Black, 17.2" L X 10.6" W X 6.3" H
Marineland Pillar Aquarium Kit, 6-Gallon by MarineLand
Eclipse System 12 Aquarium

I'm not afraid to DIY, I'm trying to find something a little more exciting than a standard 10 gallon tank.

I have a 35g hex....same height...I have two led fixtures....with 6 led 3w bulbs on each...reaches the bottom of my tank fine....I have mushrooms torch corals hammer corals and leather toadstool with some nano poly zoanthids....everything looks good open and well....even with one fixture its good...I got a second just to make sure...I'm sure you'll be fine

Are you planning on QTing corals and thing for your larger tank? Because unless you go back In and properly QT the chromis you have there really isn't much point to QTing now.

But I would actually just stick with water changes for the main filtration and skip those kits.

I plan on setting up this tank to qt future purchases both coral and fish. I just don't know what setup to get. Trying to spend around 150, and do something a little more exciting than a standard 10 gallon.

Little fish, do you have a link to your qt? What ever I do, I plan on running it all the time and would like it to look nice. Canister filter or built in Filtration doesn't matter.

Well, a QT should be just a plain tank with a few pieces of PVC pipe in it for fish to hide. Most people dont QT inverts or corals. They really shouldnt be nice display tanks because the fish need to be in either hypo or copper, which would kill any inverts.

Also, most people dont QT their fish. It is very easy to avoid issues with disease by keeping our fish unstressed by feeding a good diet, not overstocking and making sure the tank you have is appropriate for the fish you have. Fish that are in a tank that is too small will be stressed out and far more likely to come down with diseases.

Plus, because you didnt QT the fish you have in your tank now, there is little point in QT anything. The fish have already brought the parasites into the tank. If you do really want to QT all your fish, you will need to pull the fish from the tank you have now and leave it fishless for at least two months. During that time you have to properly QT the fish you have, and you must QT any other fish you add to the tank.

I dont QT, and I have never had an issue with my fish because I make sure that the tank I have them in isnt too small for them, my tank isnt overstocked and they get fed a really high quality diet.

Thanks for the info. I thought quarantining was to prevent fish with from spreading illness. I understand that the fish carry internal and external parasites, but if the fish is healthy enough to fight it off, isn't it gone from the system or in check to a point. Doesn't quarantining new arrivals give them a chance to recover from from all the stress of being caught and shipped to who knows how many fish distributors before I purchase and ship them to my house? In the qt, the fish can be watched and medicated accordingly and have a couple months to relax and settle in before being acclimated to the dt.

No, most parasites exist within the host but dont cause any sign of disease until the host is stressed and the immune system can no longer keep the infection in check. But this entire time they will still shed the parasite into the environment. Which is why you have to treat with hypo or copper even if they arent showing any signs of disease.

IMO, its more stressful to keep moving them from tank to tank. I would rather just get them into their permeant home.

The rest and recovery QT I would use on some types of fish, but they arent the fish you arent going to find readily in the hobby. They are going to be the very finicky tangs, angels or that come in right from a distributor (not something like Live Aquaria).

Lots of people think QT are a good place to acclimate fish to captivity, but if they arent eating by the time they get to the LFS before you buy them, there isnt much hope of them making it in the home aquarium.

Back