quick update on Octopus HOB Skimmer

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
build quality looks good
thing is big
instructions non existant

and the big one.....right out of the box, one of the pumps that came with it is not running. It won't start, run or pump period. So I have a brand new useless skimmer until I can get this straightened out. I am sooooo pissed at the moment

Take the pump apart and see if the impeller spins freely on the shaft. Make sure it all moves freely.

Skimmers are all the same. Air and water goes in the bottom. Foam comes out the top. Collection cup drains into jug behind stand. You don't need instructions man. Have a beer and sit and look at it for a bit. It'll work out. :Cheers:

Rc,you sure you aint running a sheet metal shop?:mrgreen:Cause you think a lot a shop man:Cheers:
If the pumps fried,then raise cain untill they replace it.
Hate to hear about bad luck right outta the box.That just plain sucks.

OK, I took the endcap off the pump and gave the impeller a spin by hand, then fired it up. Pump started with a chug, but smoothed out fine. Put skimmer back together and put it in. Filled er up and started it. Seems to be running fine, it is quieter than my aquaC pro, and I find that very quiet. Producing alot of foam, but it is pretty clean, which is completely expected as the tank isn't stocked yet. Overall, it was a PITA to get set up, but now I'm impressed with how smooth and quiet it is. I'll keep everyone posted!

With my skimmer, I find that I have to keep the neck pretty clean for it to produce a lot of skimmate. I check it and wipe it down with a paper towel every few days. You'll be surprised at the difference this makes in the skimmate that's produced.

I've had my Octopus HOB BH-100F running for 2 months now without issue.
It is BIG, but you are right, it's quiet. I think the thing is great and produces great skim. After two weeks, my water quality REALLY improved and I started getting corraline growth.
For someone new to the skimmer world, it does need a little "looking at" since the instructions STINK.

FYI, I heard the pumps on these things are pretty crappy from other users. I haven't experienced this myself though, but I found this site.
You may want to keep it handy for parts replacement as they have impellers and RESUN replacement pumps.

Good luck!

Back