Recommend a Heater?

SaltwaterNoob17

Reefing newb
Okay, so I've got a whole bunch of Marineland Stealth Pro heaters that are being recalled, and I have Drs. F&S sending me Fluval M Heaters as replacements...BUT, I'm iffy about the Fluval M Heaters because 1) They're glass 2) I'm reading that they aren't fully submersible.

So...
1. Does anyone have any experience with Fluval M Heaters? Are they good? Bad?

2. What's the deal on glass vs. titanium heaters? I know that people have issues with glass heaters breaking/bursting, but I don't understand why. I've owned glass heaters and never had a problem with them unless I forgot to unplug them when taking them out of the water. What are you all's opinions?

3. What's the best fully submersible heater (or the one that you'd recommend from experience)?

I went from the stealth pro to the all glass one, you do have to keep the top out of the water line but to me I like being able to adust without sticking my hands in the water.
I had horrible time getting the temp to stay regulated with the stealth pro so I traded it with the glass one I had my my fresh tank and I like it MUCH more. My temp stays within a few degrees at all times. But those are the only 2 I have ever used so I cant speak for any others. For the price (I think it was around $20) I think its a good heater.

Does anyone with titanium heaters want to stick up for them? I've only ever owned glass heaters and the Stealth Pros...

And, as long as you don't take glass heaters out of the water while they are still plugged in (and don't bang/crash the glass heater into anything), they should be perfectly safe right? Glass heaters don't just spontaneously shatter, right?

Mine have been fine, had this one for six months and the last for a year. Lol, my other one broke, because i took it out with it still plugged in, and then put it in cold water *fizz*............duhhh :roll:

Mine have been fine, had this one for six months and the last for a year. Lol, my other one broke, because i took it out with it still plugged in, and then put it in cold water *fizz*............duhhh :roll:

Ha. I took a glass heater out of my tank thinking that I had unplugged it when I had actually unplugged the pump (now my cords are labeled ;)). I set the heater on a towel on my floor and started doing my normal WC. A couple of minutes later I was, like, "hmmm...I swear I smell something burning..." Sure enough the towel was black and starting to smoke. I freaked, unplugged the heater, and threw it into the bucket of cold water that I had next to me. CRACK! Glass shards exploded everywhere in the bucket! I felt like a total dumba$$. :shock: But other than that, I've had no bad experiences with glass heaters.

I have 2 300 watt Eheim's Jagers and my only complaint is that one of them is set at 87 degrees and the other is at 77. The tank temp is 78.2 to 79.0 depending on what time of day/lighting time. I am a bit worried about the one that is set at 87 because it is constantly on. I have played with them to equal out but this is the best I can get. I have used them in the past with out issues so this is just one out of a bunch that is weird. I still like them and will continue to do so. Just my experience. Very good heaters though imo.

Back