Regal Tang not eating

nlopez8488

Reefing newb
Hello I'm new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice on how to save a Regal tang my wife just bought me.

I've had my tank setup for about 6 months, 55 gal, 75lbs LR, protein skimmer.

My wife decided to surprise me knowing I wanted a regal tang and found one at a petstore and brought it home. Its kinda small and looked like it hadnt eaten... since then it has been hiding in the liverock and doesnt seem to show itself or eat when i feed the other fish (yellow tang and clarkii clown).

Any advice would be appreciated, because I really wanna make sure this lil fish makes it.

Try some junk food, brine or mysis...Like cheese burgers for people.. and see if that works. Could also be getting bullied by the other fish if they've been in there for a long time..

I have frozen shrimp cubes that I have tried putting in and nothing.. I also bought some omega pellets that say they have garlic and he didn't go for those either. Should I isolate him with a sick fish acrylic mini tank that can be placed in the tank? The tang is small I would say about 1.5 in

Hello and Welcome!

a 55 gal tank is an unstable home for any tang, they requires lots of swimming room to remain happy and healthy. I dont think the regal will last more than few months because of the stress from being in a small tank, and if he isnt eating now, you are looking at an even shorter timescale.

+1 fish.....Tank is tooooo small.....even if it survives this trial, it won't be very happy for the long run. How long has it been in the tank? Sometimes it takes a few days for the fish to become relaxed enough to eat.

I know I need at least a six foot tank for this fish but it was a surprise from someone who does t know much about this hobby (wife). In just trying to do what I can to avoid the fish starving itself. Thanks for the help,

The fish has been in te tank two days now.

you can try smother in the seaweed and other foods with garlic, it seems to act like an appetite stimulant for fish.

My suggestion is to have a list of tank approved items for your significant other. My boyfriend has one for our tank, and lets him get little surprises for me without wondering if it will be ok for tank.

I know I need at least a six foot tank for this fish but it was a surprise from someone who does t know much about this hobby (wife). In just trying to do what I can to avoid the fish starving itself. Thanks for the help,

The fish has been in te tank two days now.
You want my honest advice? Be honest WITH your wife. You need to go to her and explain that while you appreciate the gesture and love her for thinking so hard about something you love, that your tank is just not right for this fish. Tell her that keeping this fish in your tank will lead to its untimely demise and that is not something you want. Offer to take it back with her and get a fish that you both are in love with and will suit your tank.

Two tangs in a 55 will not be sustainable. My guess is the larger, more established yellow will kill the regal

Many will tell you that the Yellow will not be healthy in a 55 long term, even if it is the only tang in the tank.

Your best bet at this point is to remove the regal and hopefully get store credit for it. If you absolutely must keep it, its not unheard of for a fish to not eat for several days after being added to a new tank - perhaps even longer if there is any bullying going on. My Achilles didn't eat for almost two weeks when I added him, and even then he only would eat the seaweed sheets. I've had him two and a half months now, and he just started eating the frozen that I feed the tank (I suspect he learned from the other tangs in my tank)

you can try smother in the seaweed and other foods with garlic, it seems to act like an appetite stimulant for fish.

My suggestion is to have a list of tank approved items for your significant other. My boyfriend has one for our tank, and lets him get little surprises for me without wondering if it will be ok for tank.

OMG thanks Hannah you just gave me a great idea lol I'm surprised I did not think of that:shock:

Back