Replacement glass for my light fixture?

Dakwan

Reefing newb
Because for some reason , and i can only blame bad parenting really, I am a dumb ass and broke one of the glass plates covering the MH bulb on my fixture.

Now i may have asked this already but i'm hoping someone can give me some direction on where to find a replacement for it..

fixture is 72" Aqualight Pro - 250W

I've tried email with no response and the 1-800 support number my lfs gave me for them didn't get through to anyone... and i'm getting a little worried that i've ruined a $1200 light fixture by breaking a piece of glass.

I've thought about getting one cut but it needs to be special glass to block UV i know and i'm not very learned on this subject

any help would be appreciated!

+1 Zissou
Any glass shop can get you the UV glass and cut.They'll probably even have at least some of it in stock.

Can lexan deal with the amount of heat coming off a 250W bulb?

That's a great question....It says 200x stronger than glass. I wonder if it can withstand heat though. My halides have plexiglass under them, 2x 250w and a 400w, it's used so I don't know if it's OEM equipment, but mine isn't melted....Only one way to find out.:mrgreen:

If I remember correectly the Coralife MH that I just sold had glass on it but I can't be sure.

Just looked this up...

Heat Resistance - The maximum "continuous service temperature" of plexiglass acrylic is between 180 degrees F and 200 degrees F depending on the particular use. This means that while the material can withstand higher temperatures for very short periods of time, it will soften and lose its form or shape if subjected to these higher temperatures for any period of time. While acrylics respond to heat, they are not affected by cold, and will not become cracked or brittle in cold weather.

Last edited:
yeah they are double ended bulbs

some FANTASTIC advice guys. Once again i'm reminded why i love this forum so much

I think my plan of attack will be to get a glass shop to quote me a price and if it is reasonable go that route otherwise i'll buy a piece of lexan and do some experiments to make sure it doesn't melt into my fish tank :D

Back