Rimless Compatible

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I might be putting the cart in front of the horse here but what sort of fish are rimless(top less) compatible and which are DEFINATE NO-NO's other than the typical wrasse', jawfish and anthias?

I have something in the works and even have girlfriend permission! WOOT!

Well not that it will help you any since I am sure you know that damsils, clowns, tangs, and angels can be kept with an open top. Also I kept a six line with an open top with no probs.

Typically sixline are jumpers though.
So are a lot of the nano fish like gobys and blennys. I've also heard anthias are prone to jump.
Right now I have a clown a sailfin tang and a blue chromis and they've been fine.

Yes, goby's would be considered "jumpers". I've never let it stop me from buying fish. I've noticed the ones I have a prone to jumping when they are scared or stressed. otherwise they don't seem to just jump for no reason.

I DO however have a dragon goby that attacks the surface of the water all day for unknown reasons and always comes down with a mouth full of bubbles. What crazy fish them goby's are.

Of course my imaginary tank is different, because of the upward and over flow of the current, but I have found that larger fish do not seem to have the problems going over the sides that smaller fish do. I don't think they can get the same speed up that smaller fish can. For example I have never lost a Tang of any kind or any fish of that size. I have lost several Mandarin fish that were on the 2 1/2 - 3 " size but I have a larger one that has not gone overboard yet at least. So my suggestion is to stock as large of fish as you can.

Looking a 120 with an end overflow, peninsular style set up. 3/4 glass with nice oak stand. If I get it Ill be turning the 180 into a FOWLR Angelfish and Butterflyfish tank and going reef in the rimless.

Looking a 120 with an end overflow, peninsular style set up. 3/4 glass with nice oak stand. If I get it Ill be turning the 180 into a FOWLR Angelfish and Butterflyfish tank and going reef in the rimless.

That is gonna look really nice. Good luck with that Ryan.

I'm gonna end up havin to add a butterfly to my reef.:shock:

Congrats,if this pans out for Ryan.3/4'' glass seems kind of overkill but would I know.

I do like to say my Copperband has taken care of all the majanos in my tank.

Sorry D2,
5'8''+bald headed+'mini'' in you're avatar=toooooo easy.

I thought so too Dom, but they go crazy with the glass to support the lack of of a trim ring around the top I guess?

Congrats,if this pans out for Ryan.3/4'' glass seems kind of overkill but would I know.

My English sucks!

The reason I thought 3/4'' is overkill Ryan because what a company called Miracle was going to use if I went Rimless.3/4'' starphire-5/8'' non starphire-eurobrace at the bottom which the sand would cover up.This was for a 96x30x18(214g) tank.

Apparently starphire is a softer glass so they told me.

Back