Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

Guys I need a little bit of advice again. I'm thinking about adding some more LR. At the moment I've erred on the side of caution and have just over 1lb/g (60lbs LR). I would like to take it up to 1.5lbs/g (80lbs LR) by improving the righthand side with another bridge (like the lefthand side) and beefing up the lefthand side, will it be overkill, or beneficial, (I'm assuming it will help with my water quality further)? I think adding 20lbs more will still leave plenty of free water volume, and I've got quite a bit of space behind the rock as it is, plus I have a powerhead set at the back of the tank, so I shouldn't get problems with water quality due to lack of flow. I must admit I've become a victim of the aesthetic, and personally, looking at the majority of the great tanks on here, I prefer the denser LR look - I guess I've probably answered my own question, but I know I'll get honest answers from those that know!! Thanks as always :bowdown:

Go ahead and add more rock if you like the more the better IMO. just add it slow so that is does not cause a mini cycle maybe 10 pounds at a time then a little later until you get the amount you like.

make sure the rock is completely cured, if its not cured then you could cause another cycle, and like daugherty said 10 max at a time and you should be good

Like you, I prefer tanks that look "fuller" with more rock in them. If you add a piece or two at a time, it will be gentler on your wallet, and the water quality. If you would prefer to add a whole bunch at once, set the new rock up in a separate container (like a plastic bin or tub) with saltwater, heater and a powerhead and let it sit for a week or two to make sure if it causes a spike in parameters, it spikes in the tub and not your tank. Once all parameters are at zero, you can move it over to your main tank.

Looks great Rushy. I'm thinking about adding some more rock as well. I think i'm gonna add dead base rock and seed it. It's less risky if you ask me, no cycle danger or unwanted hitchhikers. If you go that route you'll save some $$ and avoid all the pitfalls at the expense of time. if you're interested look into http://www.marcorocks.com. I got all of my rock from them and seeded it with 15lbs. of LR from my LFS and it worked out great. Just something to think about. :)

Like you, I prefer tanks that look "fuller" with more rock in them. If you add a piece or two at a time, it will be gentler on your wallet, and the water quality. If you would prefer to add a whole bunch at once, set the new rock up in a separate container (like a plastic bin or tub) with saltwater, heater and a powerhead and let it sit for a week or two to make sure if it causes a spike in parameters, it spikes in the tub and not your tank. Once all parameters are at zero, you can move it over to your main tank.

Thanks for the advice Biffy! I keep looking at mine and although it's only a 55, the LR still looks like it could do with beefing up, and the "fuller" look is definitely more my thing!! I was going to add a piece at a time to limit the impact on the water quality. However, I shall go out and by a big bin I think!!! I have a spare heater and powerhead anyway, so shall set that up over the weekend :D

Looks great Rushy. I'm thinking about adding some more rock as well. I think i'm gonna add dead base rock and seed it. It's less risky if you ask me, no cycle danger or unwanted hitchhikers. If you go that route you'll save some $$ and avoid all the pitfalls at the expense of time. if you're interested look into http://www.marcorocks.com. I got all of my rock from them and seeded it with 15lbs. of LR from my LFS and it worked out great. Just something to think about. :)

Thanks for the compliment Keaton, really appreciated. I shall have a look on the net for something similar in the UK,t there are a few good sites, although I can't comment on their product until I've bought, I know my LFS carries some base rock but it's generally uninspiring!

On a side note: First serious loss last night, carried out my water change and as I finished and was checking on the inhabitants, noticed one of the hermits grappling with my newly skin shed Porcelain. Not sure what had happened to it, but it was obviously polished off after a tug of war between the said hermit and cleaner shrimp. I kept an eye on the temp whilst changing and the temp didn't alter too much, but it is slightly worrying :(

On a side note: First serious loss last night, carried out my water change and as I finished and was checking on the inhabitants, noticed one of the hermits grappling with my newly skin shed Porcelain. Not sure what had happened to it, but it was obviously polished off after a tug of war between the said hermit and cleaner shrimp. I kept an eye on the temp whilst changing and the temp didn't alter too much, but it is slightly worrying :(

Latest pics update Guys, a few new residents have found a new home in my tank...............:^: A Galaxea (Green Crystal), a Leather Finger and a Purple Xenia. And Lola the Six Line Wrasse has been reserved :D

Attachments

• 01-02-09_2.jpg
    01-02-09_2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 01-02-09_4.jpg
    01-02-09_4.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 01-02-09_6.jpg
    01-02-09_6.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 01-02-09_8.jpg
    01-02-09_8.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 254
  • 01-02-09_10.jpg
    01-02-09_10.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 263
Some more................................................

Attachments

• 01-02-09_9.jpg
    01-02-09_9.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 256
  • 01-02-09_7.jpg
    01-02-09_7.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 01-02-09_5.jpg
    01-02-09_5.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 01-02-09_3.jpg
    01-02-09_3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 01-02-09_1.jpg
    01-02-09_1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 263
Last ones for now................:mrgreen:

Attachments

• 01-02-09_11.jpg
    01-02-09_11.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Finger Leather.jpg
    Finger Leather.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Green Crystal.jpg
    Green Crystal.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Purple Xenia.jpg
    Purple Xenia.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 01-02-09_12.jpg
    01-02-09_12.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 297
Yote if you notice the Lemonpeel, after you advised me not to get it, and rightly so, I'm very sorry for not heeding the advice!! But I'm going to blame the missus, she bought it home, and gave me this great story that this particular angel won't harm my corals, as it had been reared in a tank full of corals (after I told her we couldn't or shouldn't have one)!!! I can't wait till it gets older and discovers its tastebuds for delicious corals. To be honest he seems like a really lovely fish, great temprement, and he really has been great company for the Clownie. The Clownie has become very sociable, now that he has a mate. I'm going to keep a close eye on him, and as soon as he starts reaking havoc (if indeed he does), out he comes!

Back