Rushy's first 55g Reef Effort - V Early Stages

It could be a number of things you listed but the two most dangerous is the nitrites and changes in salinity.Even the smallest amount of nitrite can be deadly to corals.I believe the nitrite should return to zero in a day or so.In the meantime,feeding sparingly or not at all.I've also seen some LFS selling saltwater with low salinity.I guess less salt saves them money.It's okay for fish but not a reef system.Good decision,better off making your own or look elsewhere.Don't forget most leathers like strong indirect flow.

Heres the thing about water changes to reduce nitrates.Lets say nitrates are at 20ppm.You do a 10% water change,so your left with nitrates at 18ppm.So it takes time to lower them.
What really concerns me is the nitrites.Any time you've got nitrites,you need to be doing fairly large water changes to get the levels down.But the reading could also be from a bad test kit,so have checked at your LFS to be sure.
Now for your finger leather.They will look like total crap from time to time.They'll usually slime up and shed when that happens.Its normal its their way of cleaning themselves.

Thanks as always Yote, always my voice of reason!! The Hagen test kits are a little hit and miss, I know it should be always at 0, for my Nitrite readings but, I couldn't make up my mind if it was 0.1 or 0.3, so erred on the side of caution! I've got to go into the LFS tomorrow and get some advice on how to get this skimmer running properly as they have all there display tanks set up with the Octopus, so I'll take my samples in for them to check. Will mix up enough water over the weekend to do a couple of large water changes.

It could be a number of things you listed but the two most dangerous is the nitrites and changes in salinity.Even the smallest amount of nitrite can be deadly to corals.I believe the nitrite should return to zero in a day or so.In the meantime,feeding sparingly or not at all.I've also seen some LFS selling saltwater with low salinity.I guess less salt saves them money.It's okay for fish but not a reef system.Good decision,better off making your own or look elsewhere.Don't forget most leathers like strong indirect flow.

Thanks Reeffreak I've got about 25(x) (about 6000l/h) flow rate in there at the moment, I guess another PH wouldn't hurt anyway, or chop one of my Koralia 1's in for a 3 to get me above 30 (x)

Heres the thing about water changes to reduce nitrates.Lets say nitrates are at 20ppm.You do a 10% water change,so your left with nitrates at 18ppm.So it takes time to lower them.
What really concerns me is the nitrites.Any time you've got nitrites,you need to be doing fairly large water changes to get the levels down.But the reading could also be from a bad test kit,so have checked at your LFS to be sure.
Now for your finger leather.They will look like total crap from time to time.They'll usually slime up and shed when that happens.Its normal its their way of cleaning themselves.

Just thought I'd give a little update, the Finger Leather is looking better than ever, after a couple of days of it really looking troubled, so I guess the lesson is don't panic!

The water changes weren't as successful as I'd hoped, still having problems with nitrates, the nitrites have come back down to a point where I'm happy that keeping on top of it over the next few days (especially with the planned large change coming up) will get me back to 0! I couldn't do a large change over the weekend just a couple at 10%'s, so as expected it didn't really have a major impact. I've now gone out and bought an 80l (33%) bin to mix plenty of water in, but I want to make sure it's perfect before I do the change, ie allowing for the current salinity of the water and the mix quantity I need to get it back to 1.026. After all the waffle I guess the question is, how long do I have with my nitrates at the level they are before I start seeing an impact on the tank? Thanks as always guys :D

You gave a nitrate reading of 20meg/L.Is that a common measurement for nitrates in the UK?Here it's in PPM,if my test kits shows meg/L,I've must of never paid attention.

If your test is indeed 20ppm then that's not bad at all.Ideally,you will want close to zero but I don't see any impact on LPS corals,softies and fishes.Longterm,if you can't keep nitrates down with water changes then maybe consider a refugium.The macroalgae and DSB(deep sand bed) will help keep nitrates down.

You gave a nitrate reading of 20meg/L.Is that a common measurement for nitrates in the UK?Here it's in PPM,if my test kits shows meg/L,I've must of never paid attention.

If your test is indeed 20ppm then that's not bad at all.Ideally,you will want close to zero but I don't see any impact on LPS corals,softies and fishes.Longterm,if you can't keep nitrates down with water changes then maybe consider a refugium.The macroalgae and DSB(deep sand bed) will help keep nitrates down.

I think it all boils down to what test kit you use buddy! I'm using Hagen at the moment and will probably change to Salifert once I need to replenish, but I pretty certain that meg/l equates to ppm. Thanks for the response! :D

Evening Guys

Went through my first real big water change last night, all went really well, everyone happy, and the results of the parameters tonight suggest it was a success (SG - 1.026, NO2 - 0.1mg/l, NO3 - 10mg/l) in solving the main problems and worries I was having. However, what now concerns me is the moment I turned the skimmer back on last night, the whole tank is awash with clouds of bubbles or particles, and still is 24hrs later. The fish seem happy enough and appear unfazed but the leather finger looks unhappy again, and I guess I'm less worried about that, but it was only this time last week, that it was looking ropey. After the change the pH and calcium levels are higher than desirable, I have been running at pH8.5 and 440ppm, but tonight pH is above that and Calcium is at 460ppm, which I kind of expected, considering the SG I had to achieve with the SW mix to balance out the current tank SG). Anyway I guess I just need reassurance that all will be well, and any advice on how to combat the cloudiness or methods for ensuring it doesn't become a habit will be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always guys, will add some updated pics, once all settled and looking clear again! Reserved myself 3 Blue Reef Chromis, and got some really nice Emeralds at the weekend :D

Last edited:
Calcium levels at 460 aint bad.I dont even consider calcium to be high untill its over 500ppm.As for a PH of 8.5,My SPS seem to like that high a PH.I wouldnt let it go much over that,but 8.5 seems to be alright.
Did you happen to clean your skimmer or use any additives in the new water?

Calcium levels at 460 aint bad.I dont even consider calcium to be high untill its over 500ppm.As for a PH of 8.5,My SPS seem to like that high a PH.I wouldnt let it go much over that,but 8.5 seems to be alright.
Did you happen to clean your skimmer or use any additives in the new water?

Thanks for benchmark on the Calcium Yote. I didn't clean the skimmer, though, I just noticed that the collection cup was full and thought I better empty it, it was last thing at night, so I just emptied it out and put it back. As far as additives go I added some Aqua+ (water conditioner) to the RO before I mixed it, just in case. Just noticed a serious build up of brown muck (like a film) in my skimmer basket and on the glass! All in the time I've been out today!! Reckon I should carry out a small change tomorrow probably just with RO, to bring the parameters down just a little bit more, should be pretty close to where I want them then. I Hope!!!

Last edited:
There's a problem. Any sort of water conditioner (like Aqua+) will cause the skimmer to go berserk. Skimmers won't work if you use a water conditioner. They will just draw water out of your tank like crazy. Probably the most common reason why we hear of skimmers all of a sudden flooding and leaving half the tank on the floor! 99.9% of the time, someone used a water conditioner and didn't realize it would have that effect on the skimmer.

There is no need to use a water conditioner if you are using RO water. The reverse osmosis process will take out any bad things. Water conditioners are used to neutralize chlorine and chloramine in tap water, which is why skimmers don't work on tanks if you use tap water treated with a water conditioner.

There's a problem. Any sort of water conditioner (like Aqua+) will cause the skimmer to go berserk. Skimmers won't work if you use a water conditioner. They will just draw water out of your tank like crazy. Probably the most common reason why we hear of skimmers all of a sudden flooding and leaving half the tank on the floor! 99.9% of the time, someone used a water conditioner and didn't realize it would have that effect on the skimmer.

There is no need to use a water conditioner if you are using RO water. The reverse osmosis process will take out any bad things. Water conditioners are used to neutralize chlorine and chloramine in tap water, which is why skimmers don't work on tanks if you use tap water treated with a water conditioner.

Thanks Biffy, lesson learnt, and remaining Aqua+ has been tipped down the sink!! However, now you've said there is a problem, is there a solution? Is it just wait it out, and with subsequent water changes, the effects of the Aqua+ will pro-rata be neutralised?? Thanks for the advice, appreciated as always :D

You can do some small water changes, or you can wait it out. Once I unknowingly used a water treatment that did the same thing to my skimmer, and it took 3 weeks for my skimmer to get working normally again! I'd just turn the skimmer down so it's not overflowing and give it a few days.

You can do some small water changes, or you can wait it out. Once I unknowingly used a water treatment that did the same thing to my skimmer, and it took 3 weeks for my skimmer to get working normally again! I'd just turn the skimmer down so it's not overflowing and give it a few days.

Thanks again Biffy, have done what you suggested and have started to carry out small water changes, we'll see how it goes!

Guys

I think I have finally settled on my stock list for my first effort. My Cinnamon Clown and Lemonpeel are already in the tank, and I guess once I have sorted out my little gliches I'll almost be ready for my next fish.

This is what I would like eventually: -

Cinnamon Clown, Lemonpeel, Lyretail Anthias (male), Six Line Wrasse and Blue Reef Chromis, anyone know of any potential problems with that or should that little community do ok??

The Chromis need to be in a small group. Adding just one will cause them to stress out.

Sorry Darwin, forgot to mention, I have three on order (my LFS has ordered them from Miami, and they are on about 6 weeks delivery), which now looking at the list means I've probably overdone it, sadly the Lyretail may have to wait until I get a bigger tank!

A little update, as I haven't had much chance to get on this week, because of trying to sort a few tank probs out! It's been a funny week!!
After the problems with the water conditoner and skimmer, I got my water changes in and got my parameters back into desired figures, tested daily and very happy, and Finger Leather is all happy again!!! I started to get elevated temps again, and as before I assumed due to the new skimmer, so have managed to get it back to 78.9F before the lights go on, I was finding I was having to leave the lights off, because, the starting temp for the day was at 80.4F. The real reason for this post though is, I suffered my first fish heartbreak this week, and a rather sudden one (and ultimately I'm guessing my fault, so don't really expect any sympathy). My wife read my post about my stocking list, and went and bought me a Lyretail Anthias (m), she had seen them in the LFS at the weekend. She thought it would make a great Valentines present and she rather aptly named it 'Valentine'. I had my doubts about adding him to the tank, but after going through my readings, and considering the time that had passed from adding the Lemonpeel, I thought I'd give it a shot. I drip fed acclimitised him, and let him settle slowly. For the first three days, he looked fantastic and fed like a pig. Last night I get home and notice that his chest and gill area has lost colour, almost white and he's struggling for air, so I tested for NH3, NO2 & NO3, and all were near to perfect, and the Clownie and Lemon, were showing absolutely no signs of distress. I carried out a partial change just to be on the safe side, but come 11pm last night, went back to the tank to check on things, to see a band of happy hermits and Surf and Turf, tucking into Valentine!!! I'm gutted because, I really don't know what happened, and what I could have done to prevent it, if anything, other than not adding him off course. Anyone able to offer any advice as to what may have happened?? I thought it was bad enough losing a few discerning snails, but to lose a fish, a very pretty fish, and probably through my own over eager stupidity is a lesson I will learn from! And to top it off, the Lemonpeel, appears to have a problem with one of his eyes, he's behaving normally, and swimming perfectly well and feeding as well as ever, but it looks like a potential problem. I can't work out if it's a bacterial problem or if he's just simply been stabbed in the eye by one of the cleaners, whilst he's been groomed, and he loves being groomed!!! Again if anyone has any insight, it will be greatly appreciated!

Back