saltwater aquarium build

The only suggestion I have is that you can move your bubble trap after the skimmer area before fuge, and lower the baffle before return pump. This will eliminate bubbles getting into display tank. Little water fall makes bubbles. I will also increase water in which the return pump can draw from.

The only suggestion I have is that you can move your bubble trap after the skimmer area before fuge, and lower the baffle before return pump. This will eliminate bubbles getting into display tank. Little water fall makes bubbles. I will also increase water in which the return pump can draw from.

Thanks for the suggestions, would moving the bubble trap where you suggest help to eliminate the bubbles more efficiently compared to where I have it now. Also, what would you suggest for the height of the divider for the return pump?

Ok I have my design for the sump attached as a .jpg now for anyone who can’t open the word file. Feel free to make suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

• sump-fuge.JPG
    sump-fuge.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 8,131
I am planning on ordering my skimmer today and I have it narrowed down to the following 3, I would prefer to order one of the first two because the shipping would be much faster, does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

http://atlanticreefstore.com/store1/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=63

http://atlanticreefstore.com/store1/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=64

http://www.thereefshoppe.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_89&products_id=299

+RlJ It would also help limit bubbles in your fuge area

Hi ok thanks guys. I will move the bubble trap and lower the divider for the return pump by 1". I will post a new drawing when I am done for anyone else who might want to make a sump out of a 10g tank.

On your baffles don't make them to narrow or else the water will travel to fast and the bubbles will not have a chance dissipate 1' apart seems to work well

So I took everyone’s input and I changed the drawing the new design is attached as SF-2 as a work document and a .jpg Feel free to use them if you like. I will be posting pics. When I construct the sump as well, as well as any instructions I can think of. Thanks again.

Attachments

• SF-2.jpg
    SF-2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 485
  • sf-2.doc
    688 KB · Views: 416
Looks good. I would like to know how you like the mesh mod when everything gets broke in. My skimmate is not as dark as it use to be and am thinking of converting mine. Are you cutting the glass yourself? Its not to hard but get a small practice sheet. took a couple cuts to get the hang of it. When you glue the baffles in make sure the silicone sealant doesn't have antibacterial in it.

Ok so I thought my tank was going to take another 3 weeks to get here, but nope just got a call and it’s in now! Going to pick it up after work and get out the measuring tape and design a stand and canopy for it! Also the skimmer is in the mail and the sump is cleaned out and ready for construction, but I am going to wait until I get the skimmer first to ensure it will all fit.

Also I think that I should move this thread into the tank showcase section when the construction begins. In the meantime I have been thinking about getting this pump:

PONDMASTER PM-7 MAG DRIVE POND PUMP 700 3 YEAR WARRANTY - eBay (item 370342188145 end time Apr-28-10 19:59:58 PDT)

I have a mag 9.5 and cant even here running, no noise at all. Although mine is submerged, dont know how they are when not submerged.

Got my 50g Tank yesterday!!! Going to post some pics of it after work. (all I got is my shitty blackberry camera so there not going to be great pics). So, I was drawing up my plans for my stand when my comp froze as I was trying to save it, 3 hours in, WTF. So I gave up and decided that I am going to mount the tank in the wall instead, I have the perfect location, from the front it can be seen from my living room and main entrance and on the back side it will be in a closet to my spare room!! It’s also going to be cheaper then building the stand to. Going to start tonight.

I love the look of in wall set ups, it's like a moving picture.
Did you ever check out www.fishandtips.com they have a program where you just enter the dimensions of the tank and it will give you an outline of a stand to build. You have to be a little careful with it since they assum a 4x4 is actually 4 inches not 3.5 so you have to adjust a couple pieces.

I love the look of in wall set ups, it's like a moving picture.
Did you ever check out www.fishandtips.com they have a program where you just enter the dimensions of the tank and it will give you an outline of a stand to build. You have to be a little careful with it since they assum a 4x4 is actually 4 inches not 3.5 so you have to adjust a couple pieces.

Thanks for the link!

OK so here is the tanks 50g DT and an old 10g for the sump. They are on the wall which I will mount them in.

Last pic is the other side of the wall which is the closet in the spare bedroom.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Wall.jpg
    Wall.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Inside wall.jpg
    Inside wall.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 266
So, I got a good start last night. The room that the closet is in, which I will need to place the tank in order for it to be mounted in the wall I want, is also going to be my home office / hobby room. So I figured if I am going to be knocking out drywall and making a huge mess I might as well get started making my office.

When I first got this house about 8 months ago this room was a little girls room and they had painted polka-dots all over the walls, and when they decided to sell, they did a quick paint job with some sort of pinkish beige, what is on the walls now. (More pink in real life compared to the pics.) So I am planning on painting the walls and changing the carpet now as well. As you can see in the last pic I had to sand down and then plaster over a shitload of dots, whose outlines were still showing tough the paint:frustrat: ahhhh. I also pulled off the baseboards to get ready to pull out the carpet when my new stuff gets here, also this room is where all the boxes that I didn’t unpack was stored, because it was the sort of stuff you keep taking with you when u move and never use?? So I had to move all that shit to lol. Anyway just an update, going to be painting and smashing holes in the wall Saturday. Sorry for the bad pics.

What kind of paint should I use to paint the background on my tank? I am going to go with blue.

And also, any ideas for colours on the room?

Attachments

• officebefore.jpg
    officebefore.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 289
  • tankinclos.jpg
    tankinclos.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 258
  • plaster.jpg
    plaster.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 290
Back