saltwater aquarium build

Update,, This weekend I cut the hole in the wall them framed it in, also I painted the room which will be my office / hobby room with the tank in the closet. I also got my skimmer yesterday and I started to build the stand for the tank.

I wanted to know what type of paint should I use to paint the background of my tank?

Also what colour should I paint the trim around the tank, white like the baseboards and door frames or black like a picture frame?

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 366
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 347
Don't paint it!! I also have an inwall set up...You always have to work from the back of the tank, if you paint it, you can't see anything. Project5k and me both use fabric that you can remove and put back very easily. Works great. I repeat don't paint it.:D

Don't paint it!! I also have an inwall set up...You always have to work from the back of the tank, if you paint it, you can't see anything. Project5k and me both use fabric that you can remove and put back very easily. Works great. I repeat don't paint it.:D

That’s true; maybe I should go with fabric or a stick on background, good call. Thanks

I use velcro to hold mine up. Project5k designed a hook and loop system. (He's much more hand than I am). Also when you use fabric, you can change the color anytime you like.

I'm currently using light blocking curtains that I cut up and sewed back together to fit my tank. I got them from home depot for about $25.00 they work great. I have a light bulb in my fish room (back of the tank). When It's on, you cannot see it from the front of the tank.

You may even be able to find some cheaper fabric at a fabric store. Just make sure it's good and heavy so no light gets through it.

Another update, I have the stand finished as you can see in the pics below. I made it out of 2x6 and painted it in a heavy coat of outdoor paint. I also added and a make shift frame around the opening in the closet to try and clean it up a bit, painted this with the out door paint as well. Once the tank is placed on the stand I will cover the edges on the wall with moulding to make it all look clean,,, like a picture frame,

I also got my skimmer (Pics Below) and the next step will be completing my sump, but this is going to be a few days off because I have to go out of town for most of next week. Not sure when I will be adding water to the system. I still have to install the new carpet in that room, not to mention get my pump, lights and power heads, ro/di $$$ going to be a while yet.

Attachments

• shelf1.jpg
    shelf1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 325
  • shelf2.jpg
    shelf2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 339
  • skimmer2.jpg
    skimmer2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 324
Looks good Troy. A couple thing so keep in mind throughout your design.

1. On the side frames, depending on how tight the tank is(which I'm sure is tight) to the opening, you won't be able to get to use a magne-float on the front portion of the sides to clean it, there's no room to fit it in there. So before installing and filling make sure the outside side wall is good and clean.. I just use a scraper for the inside and it works ok.

2. Start thinking about the lighting design, since 1/4 of the tank gets blocked by the framing, it may be difficult (impossible)to use the legs that come with the lights, you may have to hang it, or build something to hold the lights....if you decide to design something, make sure that you can easily remove the lights since they'll always be in the way while you're working on the tank...Project5k designed a pulley system to raise and lower his lights that is sweet.

3. Make sure you've got plenty of electrical outlets in the closet...

Looks great. Good luck.

Ok… so it has been a long time since I last updated, but that’s because nothing new has happened. I ordered my carpet a while ago and it was on back order so I only got it last week and then I installed it. The first pic is the old stuff I tore up, and then the second is the new stuff I put down with the baseboards back on and painted. I am still unsure how or what, I am going to do for the background on the tank, but I tried tinting it, so I can see though it from the back, but not from the front. The idea was to make it easy to work on from the back seeing as it is mounted in the wall. Some pics attached. However, I am not sold on the black background, pulse I think it is to reflective so I might take it off, but it did come out good, if anyone was thinking of doing this. I also ordered a Mag Drive 7 on Monday, and as soon as it gets here I will build my sump. Then next on the list will be a RO/DI filter system ahhh $$.

I have a few questions now though:

I was thinking about using some of the left over carpet to place under the tank on the stand to help with levelling, would this work?

Also can I move this thread to the Tank Showcase section?

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 301
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 301
looking good id paint the frame black so it looks like a big live picture !!!!! and do the velcro background take sone thin 1/8 cabinet panel and paint it black and velcro so when your in your office you can enjoy it:Cheers:

I wouldn't put carpet on the shelf where the tank is going to be...you're going to be dropping fish food on it, it's gonna get wet when you have your hand in the tank, after awhile the carpet is gonna start to stink...nobody wants that.

By the way the tank looks fantastic!

One last thing, if that's a bottle of glass cleaner in the tank picture, stop using that on your tank...use white vinegar instead. Glass cleaning products aren't good for your fish.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put carpet on the shelf where the tank is going to be...you're going to be dropping fish food on it, it's gonna get wet when you have your hand in the tank, after awhile the carpet is gonna start to stink...nobody wants that.

By the way the tank looks fantastic!

One last thing, if that's a bottle of glass cleaner in the tank picture, stop using that on your tank...use white vinegar instead. Glass cleaning products aren't good for your fish.

Thanks. I was going to use cardboard to help with levelling anyway, I just got a fair bit of carpet left over that’s all and was trying to figure out what to do with it. Also… no that’s not glass cleaner in the tank, it is a bottle of soppy water, that I used to help put the tint on the outside of the tank. I placed it in the tank to see how well I could see though the back lol.

Last edited:
Tank looks great..The hardest part of having the in-walls is working on them when they're full. You often use the reflection from the front of the glass to see what you're doing. You'll understand what I mean when it's full.:D

I saw your other question about the background. I have a black background and started to get bored with it, so I bought some blue fabric, it didn't show up as well, so I ended up going back to the black. So my search continues... If you find something that works well, make sure you post it!

So it’s been a while since I last updated, but that’s because I have been saving up and buying parts. I have a few pics attached of how it’s progressing. I now have a pump, skimmer, sump/fuge, overflow, tank and stand. This Friday I will be ordering a RO/DI Unit from Ebay, then salt mix, test kit, lights, heater, powerheads, and the reefkeeper lite system.
Next up is going to be the plumbing, but that’s why I want my RO/DI and salt mix first - so I can get some saltwater in the tanks. I don’t want to do it now with fresh because it will take a long time and it will be a pain to get it all out afterward. (Because it’s mounted in the wall.)
On another note the office/hobby room is coming along well. Carpet is down, floor boards are back on, got a new computer desk and stuff and a cool painting from ebay. I will take a few pics when it’s all done just to have a before and after shots.

Attachments

• IMG00232.jpg
    IMG00232.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG00233.jpg
    IMG00233.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG00234.jpg
    IMG00234.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG00235.jpg
    IMG00235.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 333
Everything looks good Troy. Thought you fell off the face of the planet. Did you build the sump yourself? Looks good. I use a Mag 9, I think you'll like that Mag 7. Can't wait to see some fish in there. I've gotta commend you on your patience.

I don't think I could wait this long to get a tank up and running. I would love to have a in wall tank but don't have room at this house. I'd like to here how hear what you think of the RKL when every thing is up and running. I am looking at that system too. I think it may help get rid of timers and ato controller to clean things up around the tank

Everything looks good Troy. Thought you fell off the face of the planet. Did you build the sump yourself? Looks good. I use a Mag 9, I think you'll like that Mag 7. Can't wait to see some fish in there. I've gotta commend you on your patience.

Hey thanks. Yeah it’s been a long wait frustrating at times, but there is a lot of equipment to buy and a lot of things to set up. I’m getting anxious now though; I expect that it will be late August before I see anything in the tank. Where I live in Newfoundland live rock is expensive $12-$13 everywhere, but I did find some in the classifieds for $5 so I will be going with that I think.
Yes I did make the sump, it was from an old tank I had and based off the second rev drawings I have somewhere in this thread. (attached) If the tank was new it would have come out real clean, but it’s still good. I also had to add the smaller tube and valve to the overflow so I could start the siphon.
This is the link to the RO/DI I am going to get from Ebay:
Aqua Reef RO DI Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System - eBay (item 120432201586 end time Aug-02-10 16:05:19 PDT)

Attachments

• sf-2.doc
    688 KB · Views: 270
I don't think I could wait this long to get a tank up and running. I would love to have a in wall tank but don't have room at this house. I'd like to here how hear what you think of the RKL when every thing is up and running. I am looking at that system too. I think it may help get rid of timers and ato controller to clean things up around the tank

Yeah I’m glad I came across the RKL. I was about to go out and start picking up some power bars and timers, then I came across the RKL and was like wow. I get all I want regarding timers and power-bars and more, like temp probes and programmability for $100, I think it’s a deal for sure. Not to mention all the things it can do and upgrades you can get. But the RKE, well, that things is amazing, it can even send you instant msg. If there something wrong with your system! I will let you know all about the RKL when I have it set up.

Back