Samhain's 90 Gallon Reef

Samhain

Satin, Lace, and Sequins
So stoked to be announcing the set up of my 90 gallon upgrade! Rocks are in, tank is filling, and my new black sand is on the way! I'll be monitoring everything for a while, and I'm expecting to add my first fish at the end of January, assuming all levels are stable. I'm thinking they will be, since my rocks are all live and have been in my 50 gallon (except for a few that I kept submerged in my water change bucket). But we all know a small cycle can be touched off by stirring things up, and a tank move certainly does that! So just monitoring for now. Pics in a minute. The hubby needs the computer now........

Tank half-filled! It's still cloudy, but it's clearing up as I type...

IMG_0800.jpg

And I just ordered my new CUC from ReefCleaners! It's shipping on the 4th, so it should be here on the 6th, I hope.

On the way to the glass store to order my baffles for my sump! Going to have to put my sand in a container and clean/dry the 50 gallon so I can silicon the baffles in place sometime later this week or early next. And i'm getting a ball valve for my return pump tomorrow, so hopefully my tank won't overflow again (that was my drama from last night). Then I just have to cut a hole in the side of the stand and slide my sump in place! I'm really excited about this! Of course, my husband thinks this is a ridiculous amount of work for a $9 fish (my first fish in the new tank will be a firefish), but I don't care!

In other news, I saw Onyx today. I was worried because I never found her when I did the tank move. She must have ridden a rock over, because she was hopping from rock to rock this morning! I hope she's enjoying having so much space to herself.

Some pics of the tank fully filled with coral in place, although I may move the bright green acan that's currently on the left side of the tank.

FTS
IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

The Lagoon. I plan to put a fungia here.
IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

Shrimp hiding in a cave at the Lagoon
IMG_0813.jpg

The Big Cave
IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

Interesting Rockwork here and there throughout the tank
IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Lots of purple my wife loves it :)

Edit : and I have to say I wish my setup could be like this .... the army doesn't pay me enough to do big elaborate stuff like this

Lots of purple my wife loves it :)

Edit : and I have to say I wish my setup could be like this .... the army doesn't pay me enough to do big elaborate stuff like this

Actually, this set-up was super cheap! I only paid $200 for the tank, stand, hood, 60 lbs of LR, a MH light that i'm not using, a sump, and a bunch of chems and tests that were leftover from the previous owner's tank. She was remodeling her home and just wanted the thing gone. Gotta love craigslist!

Now I also have my skimmer, heaters, powerheads, and an additional 50 lbs of LR from my previous set-up in there, but the upgrade was really cheap. Even an E-1 can afford that!

I need to find an upgrade deal like that! I can spot 200 bucks for all that! I looove the rockwork. You have so many good spots for coral placement and the lagoon will be perfect for a fungia. Tank looks awesome. Now go buy some more corals and too her upp! :) great job

ReefCleaner CUC arrived today! My hermits had decimated a lot of my smaller snails, and I needed a larger CUC anyway, so I ordered their 90 Gallon Crew from the list.

Snail Squad FTW!
IMG_0843.jpg

They were all moving around within minutes of tank placement, so I'm quite happy.

Super Snails!
IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

The Peppermint Pair hanging out in the Big Cave
IMG_0850.jpg

And last, but not least, the first half-way decent pic of Onyx I've managed to get!
IMG_0853.jpg

Yay, snails! And seriously, you have really, really amazing rockscaping! Lots of great nooks and crannies :) What fish would DARE to be unhappy in your tank??

Back