Samhain's 90 Gallon Reef

I really love your rockwork. Looks like it had a lot of thought behind it. And the firefishe are so adorable! And of course the black sand rock! I don't think ill ever have light sand again. The black makes everything pop out more

As far as the rockwork goes, I knew I wanted caves and hidey holes, but really I let the rock speak to me. I didn't try to force anything to do what I wanted it to, I just tried different shapes and locations until it felt stable and right. The Lagoon? It totally made itself. I set a couple rocks down, noticed the curve forming, and went with it.

And I really like the black sand a lot! It pops the colors of the fish and the corals, and that's just what I wanted.

The rocks always seem to fit just the right way. They find their groove at then just set there. Or if you don't like how they set you become the epoxy queen like me! Lol my husband says I go overboard with epoxy but I don't want an avalanche!

Also, I love that you said you let the rocks speak to you. You are the rock whisper Samhain!

I just hope that means I won't have a rock slide. :D I haven't epoxied anything since I want to be free to rearrange in case of aggression. Although I'm really hoping I don't have to do that since I love, love, love the way my rocks look right now.

Well, the tank has about 20 lbs of sand in it now. I'm actually liking the looks of the tank with just the 20 lbs. I may hold off on putting in the extra 40 lbs for now. Because of the rockwork, I can't get sand into all the nooks and crannies, so 20 lbs is giving me an inch and a half in the Lagoon, in front of the Big Cave, and around the edges. I inserted some via PVC pipe into the bottom of the Big Cave, so hopefully some disperses under the rocks.

And since it looks like I may be turning the 50 gallon into a FOWLR sometime later this year, if I don't end up using the extra sand in the 90, it can just make its home in the 50!

FTS from today:

IMG_0905.jpg

Apparently my husband has been listening to me babble on about my tank more than I know! He told me that I have to wait at home tomorrow because I have an early V-Day present coming in the mail, and that it's something for my tank. He said I have to be at home to get it, since it can't be left outside for hours, but he won't tell me what it is. So now I shiver in antici.....................................................................pation!

Apparently my husband has been listening to me babble on about my tank more than I know! He told me that I have to wait at home tomorrow because I have an early V-Day present coming in the mail, and that it's something for my tank. He said I have to be at home to get it, since it can't be left outside for hours, but he won't tell me what it is. So now I shiver in antici.....................................................................pation!

Wahooo!!!

It is awesome! But now I'm agonizing over what it could be. Has he reeeeeally been listening to me? Did he get me something that can go in my tank? Is it a spiffy coral, or a fish, or an invert? Or is it something that will eat my coral, nuke my tank, or crack the glass? Or some sort of fish that will outgrow my tank in a week or two? Or is it a piece of equipment, and not even alive? The curiosity is unbearable!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, samhain, at least he was listening :)

I have a list for my boyfriend of tank approved items he can get for birthdays, holidays or for surprises. Works very well!

Still waiting! No packages yet. I should be getting two today, actually, since Erin's skimmer should be here today as well (thanks, Erin!). And I just ordered a new 800 gph CPR overflow box, so hopefully I'll have enough flow through the sump to make it worthwhile and effective. And it should be here within a week or so. I wish I had known about HOB overflows back when I was starting up my 50. That would have made things so much easier! But now I know, and when my 50 is back up and running, I'll be able to have a sump on that one too. Hooray for learning things!

I spoke too soon! I have a package! And the best hubby in the world! He's actually been REALLY listening to me babble, 'cause he got me the next fish on my list. My V-Day present is an African Midas Blenny! Pics to follow...............

Back