Sandstirring fish for a 29g

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
I'm thinking for my first fish when the cycle is finished I will probably go with some sort of sandsifter. What are some good ones that would be compatible with a 29g reef tank with all corals including sps, clams, clownfish, and maybe even a mandarin or two? Also my sand bed isn't very deep only 15lbs with about a 3rd of an inch depth.

You should grab a bunch of nass snails, cerith snails and blue-legged hermits. Maybe even a small conch. All of these will keep your sand nice and clean and stirred.

Yea I plan to slowly add a cuc as well (mainly snails) which I have planned out for the most part just can't decide on my first fish. Do yellow watchman goby's stir sand as well? Are they shy and hide all the time? They are another fish I really like just haven't seen any at LFS yet.

Yellow gobies won't sift sand. But there are several types that do. Diamond gobies are probably the most common. Keep in mind, all gobies have a tendency to jump, so make sure your tank has some sort of lid or barrier.

After a little research I found that the Diamond Goby's can bother clams and small corals on the sand by burrying them. Any opions on if this is true and how much of a nuisance, or detremental to the health of the victims, this is would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to get a fish to both look cool and keep my sand clean but if it's a PITA I'll just go for the foremore.

After a little research I found that the Diamond Goby's can bother clams and small corals on the sand by burrying them. Any opions on if this is true and how much of a nuisance, or detremental to the health of the victims, this is would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to get a fish to both look cool and keep my sand clean but if it's a PITA I'll just go for the foremore.

I have a Diamond Goby, clams and corals of all different sizes. My Goby has never bothered/buried anyone. I LOVE my Goby. He's hysterical to watch!

The truth is there are no fish that will really deep stir your sand. Other creatures like bristleworms and nassarius snails will stir it better but then even the nassarius don't go that deep.

I have and have had several sand sifters. I can say that it is very probable that a sand sifting goby will end up sprinkling sand all over your coral. I second a sandsifting star. If you do decide to get a sifter do no get a golden headed goby. I had one and it sifted sand alllllllllllll day in a matter of 16hrs the sand in my tank was all over the place and half of my rocks were burried.

Also make sure your rocks are stable because they will get dug and shift.

I have a couple conchs and it's fantastic. It goes deeper than my nassy's do, is pretty active and when it comes on top and uses it's little trunk it's GREAT at picking up and cleaning everything off the bottom.

I have two in my 29g and they're great! There's only been one small incident where they had a tiff with each other, but it was brief and now they call each other every five minutes.

You can get them in varying sizes and they're a great combo to a CUC.

I have a diamond watchman goby and I love him. The Manager at the LFS is jealous because she has never seen one so healthy and big and she doesnt carry them in the store anymore because they are one of the gobies that dont last too long. He keeps my sand nice and clean, oh and he has one eye. He is a cool little fish.

So I think I have finally decided to get a Green Banded Goby as my bottom dwelling fish. Now just to find one! :mrgreen:

I have a fat pig diamond goby that drops sand on everything and anything near the bottom. I had to move my clam onto the rocks. I have been wanting a fighting conch for months.

I have a sand sifting star, a queen conch, and a fighting conch. My tank is open on top so as of right now I am afraid to put any goby in. But if I did I'd put in a pink spotted goby, I really like those.

Back