Seaclone Skimmers

Apestyler

Reefing newb
Similar to my previous post, as soon as I mentioned the brand name the 2 guys were saying how **** they were (these guys swore alot!) He was trying to perseude me to go for DD branded skimmer (?) These are like £250 (Over $400) again I'm confused ... but I trust the advice I get on these forums more as you guys are alot more genuine with your help and advice.

Thanks for all your opinions in advance :D

I have found euro-reef skimmers to be the best, but I have only owned 3 different types of skimmers. It seems that the seaclones with some minor tweaking are pretty good. My LFS sold me another skimmer that cost $300 made by a local guy and it is by far the worst skimmer I have ever owned. So there can be big differences, lets see if some of the other guys have some different opinions.

The pretien skimmer is THE most important piece of equipment, IMHO. It with a refuge keep nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia at 0.

seaclone is an ok skimmer as chris stated you need to modify them a bit.A 150 series would be ok for you tank.I like aqua c Remora an CPR bak pak they are hang on the back skimmers.
I will post some links if I find some good prices.

Cheers guys, think I will save up for a better skimmer - maybe the one in that auction but I don't know if I will have enough clearance at the back of the tank.

I have used the red see prizim skimmer before. Try to get the foam to the bottom of the round neck. You will know what I mean when you see it. If not I will photo one of my old ones and show you the level. It will work fine for awhile, I suggest moving up in say 9 months to a year.

chris said:
I have used the red see prizim skimmer before. Try to get the foam to the bottom of the round neck. You will know what I mean when you see it. If not I will photo one of my old ones and show you the level. It will work fine for awhile, I suggest moving up in say 9 months to a year.
Ok thanks for the advice I will check it out when the skimmer arrives.

skimmers

Hi am I doing something wrong here? You guys all talk about using protein skimmers but my tank has been running for nearly 3 years without a protein skimmer and I haven't had any problems. I do have a bio & a mechanical filter though and regularly water change every week. I plan to set up a much larger tank later this year using the same system and will use my smaller tank as a specimen tank.

I ran skimmer less for while,but once I put the skimmer on mine .I noticed first off my water was clearer then ever before and my nitrates and phosphates started to drop off.

ok, i ran a 55 salt in 1974 without skimmer also, but had low bio load and 4 hours of sunlight per day and 3" thick mat of green alga on back wall. water changes weekly was enough. as long as water changes do it for you and your system is just fine, a skimmer may not be needed, but, once your bio load exceeds the water change balance a skimmer is recommended, not neccessarily required, a skimmer builds in more forgiveness and does benefit the system. we have all heard of individuals that have a skimmer that does not appear to work or no skimate. everything checks out ok. system is balanced and there is no excess to skim out. its a bit more complicated than that but you probably get the thought i was trying to share.

With my tank I do water changes every other month at most, between the skimmer and the refuge I don't ever have any problems, that I know of. :)

chris said:
Chris - Just been thinking about your comments and the other replies to this thread. Will the Prizm on be good for a low - medium bioload in my tank, is that why you suggested to change it in 9-12 months time?

Yup, Its fine while you start up but after you start introducing lots of fish and corals you will have to feed them more wich means more waste. At that point you will want to change skimmers, but at $60 here in the US its a hell of a way to save money in the short run. I still use mine on a 20 gallon quarantine tank, so it was not a waste of money.

Modifying a SeaClone 150

At the start of this thread, someone stated that a seaclone would be better if it was tweeked a bit or modified.. What are the modifications? What on it do i yweek? I got one a while back and it works but i'd like it to be at it's best. Let me know what mods i should do please..

Lee

1. Take them completely apart remove the 2 inch reaction chamber tube to expose the 1 inch diameter tube at the bottom of the skimmer.
2. The 1 inch tube at the bottom of the skimmer is the first thing we need to modify. My tube was about 4 inches tall we need to make it 1 ½ to 2 inches tall. Do not try to pull this tube out it is glued in and will break. To make the tube 2 inches tall you will need a Dremel with a small cutting stone on it. I made an extension for my Dremel as my hands were to big to fit inside the skimmer. Use the Dremel to cut the tube to 2 inches. Then use a pair of needle nose pliers to clean out the melted acrylic around the now 2 inch tall tube.
3. Next and this is easy get a 1/8 inch thick rubber sink washer to put the bubble capture cup on. You may need to cut this to fit this takes out all the play in between the reaction tube and the cup. There is play between the cup and reaction tube if you shake the skimmer gently up and down. This is bad it allows bubbles into the tank or sump the washer helps
to relieve this.
4. this takes a steady hand and maybe a vice. Take the air adjuster off the air tube and remove the screw put the body in a vice and take a drill bit just slightly bigger than the hole. Drill the hole bigger and then put back together.
After these modifications my skimmer makes a ¼ cup to a full cup of dark green, brown gooey stuff every day. I can live with this and no longer feel I need to have 2 skimmers in the tank nor do I need to buy a new one. Good luck and take your time with this you will be happy with the results.

Back