Serious Newbie question for you all!

Paligues

Reefing newb
Hey guys... Sorry to bother everybody with a trivial question but I just started to cycle my tank two or three days ago (after cycling for a month and a half than having to move :p) and I already have the beginings of what looks like green hair algae. I used RO/DI water when I filled the tank, and am just curious as to whether or not I need to start introducing a clean up crew already, The LR came straight from the store into my tank so I think that may have something to do with it... But again, any helpful tips would be appreciated.

There's no need to add a clean-up crew just yet, if you're in the middle of your cycle. Just wait till it's finished that way you don't risk killing them and wasting your money.

What are your water parameters? If the tank had already cycled before the move,then it may have already finished cycling this time around.
Test your water and post the results,then we can go from there.

Hey guys... Sorry to bother everybody with a trivial question but I just started to cycle my tank two or three days ago (after cycling for a month and a half than having to move :p) and I already have the beginings of what looks like green hair algae. I used RO/DI water when I filled the tank, and am just curious as to whether or not I need to start introducing a clean up crew already, The LR came straight from the store into my tank so I think that may have something to do with it... But again, any helpful tips would be appreciated.
Thanks for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
:bounce::^::helm2::grumble::Cheers:

Alright everyone! I have some insane news... The algae that I originally spoke of is still there but the rest of the rock seems to be turning a slight purple tinge. I am hoping/praying that that might be coraline algae, but not getting my hopes up yet. I have the test results that you guys were asking for.

Salinity 1.021
PH 8.0
Nitrate 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm

Now I was under the impression that there was supposed to be some sort of nitrate in the water after the cycle completed itself. Correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE because I'd love to hear that its ready to add something that moves to the tank!

Another stupid question, but if I were to add say another 10 - 15lbs of live rock, would I start a whole new cycle? Any way I can get around that and still add more rock into the tank? Like I said... newbie to the max!

It's hard to know for sure with out knowing the exact details of how the tank was setup when and so forth but from what you have posted here I feel confident your good to go and start adding some CUC. Adding 10-15 lbs more could start a mini cycle but personaly I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't leave the rock out of water for a long time. Would probably do a water change shortly after introducing it though. Welcome to the hobby btw! :mrgreen:

If you didn't have a huge spike in your other parameters during the cycle then I wouldn't expect there to be a large nitrate number either.

You can add live rock as long as you get it fresh. ie already cycled from the LFS. If you order live rock from a website and it's been out of the water for a day or two then you'd for sure get a cycle out of it since stuff is dying off in it.

Post pics too if you need identification. It may be a bit early for serious coralline growth and you may have cyano which can look similar when it starts.

If you add more live rock,take a cooler with some saltwater in it to your LFS.That way you can insure there is little to no die-off when you get it home.
And bump your salinity on up to 1.025-1.026.But bring it up slowly.To do that,just use saltwater to top off with until its there.

So next question for you all. Lighting and filtration. I am runing a fifteen gallon sump and about to set up a DIY wet/dry trickle filter on my 40g . My fiance's dad has been a reefer for like 15 years and swears by them, but all I read online is that they are horrible nitrate factories. Any input in that regard? I bought a skimmer for the sump that will be set up in the next couple weeks. And to top it off, I have an old hang on filter I used to use for my old fresh water tank before I took the plunge running on the main tank. I was thinking about taking out the carbon and just using it as a refugium. Any tips?\

Now onto lighting. I'm running a single 20 watt bulb but plan on upgrading to either two 20 watts, or just spending the money on T5s because I do want to grow coral.

Anything else I need to think about spending money on for my tank? Like I said, I do want to grow coral, have a few anenome and inverts along with my fish. And don't worry, I know all about bio loads and overstocking. And hell, if i have a question, that's what you amazing people are for right :D

I've done my research but there's nothing better than talking to people with experiance. I really appreciate all the help guys!

Sorry about the long post.

I would lose the wet/dry for sure. Do you have a skimmer?

Definitely, go for the t5's. You might even consider metal halide lighting.

Try to think where you want to go....(what fish, what type of corals etc) I can tell you I just did this... I would have saved a ton of $$$ if I bought what I should have bought right from the start.

You've gotta have some good lights if you want to keep and grow corals. I wouldn't put an anenome in a tank for at least 1 yr after you set it up. Anenomes have the potential to kill everything in your tank if/when they die so you want a very stable environment for them.

If you've got a skimmer and a sump you only need to add live rock...Ditch the hang on back (HOB) and the trickle.

You want 1 to 2 lb.s of live rock per gallon....You want the rock to be very porous (not dense and heavy) this will act as a natural filter. The skimmer will do the additional work. Make sure you get good test kits for Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia. These are a must have. After your tank has settled in you can get some other test kits too. Don't get cheap test kits, and don't use powder test kits. Liquid test kits are the way to go.....Salifert are the best.

You don't happen to be in Windsor are you? I've got a light for sale that would be great for your tank...I can meet you at the Detroit bridge or Tunnel if you are.

The hobby has changed a lot in the last 15 years. Wet/dries are definitely out.

Just save up and buy good lights (T5s) the first time around. If you just add another bulb, you will have to replace what you've got when it does come time for you to keep inverts.

Well, I actually have about 25-30 lbs of live rock I picked up and added to my tank to start the cycling process about two to three monthes ago. Now that it is finished, I'm trying to make sure I'm ready to start before buying my first fish. I have been testing for a while, watched the spikes and watched them drop (hopefully... I was using an API test kit :frustrat:). And as for the lights.. its only a 24" fixture area right now.. but i plan on making it 30"... would your lights fit?

Last edited:
I have a 48" T5 light for sale....I just don't want to ship it because its a PITA and it costs $$$$$. I'm 20 minutes from the border though.

If you used cured rock,then I'd say your cycle is complete.
A 30 inch fixture will work.Just make sure to get at leaste a 4 bulb fixture with individual reflectors.

Yea, PRC, thats a bit to big for me, but I seriously appreciate the offer. and I was thinking T5 but i wasn't sure. Now I know :D. You guys LR! Wow, that was bad... But anyway I'll see about getting that system together, drop my trickle filter and set up some sort of refegium in the sump.. good idea?

Back