sharks?

predator

Reefing newb
i have my 200 fowlr tank down to just my snowflake morray eel (about 6 in) i was wondering if it is possible to keep a bamboo shark with it or if i should let it get bigger. My LFS sells sharks pretty regularly as eggs and if they hatch they slap 10 bucks on the price and make sure they eat.my other question is should i save myself the trouble and get one that hatched or save myself 10 bucks and get an egg?

save the 10 bucks and get an egg... i raised one myself from an egg and he lives with my snowie :) they are better that way plus they usually can't guarentee it'll eat. youre beter off on your own :)

make sure the baby is super active tho when you pick an egg... otherwise they'll rot...

alright so i just got back from my lfs with my new shark egg. i can see the little guy in there movin around so thats pretty cool, i actually had to hve them order me one. never seen anything like it. lol im now wondering where to place it i noticed in your thread you put yours in a clip. can i just place it on the rocks in my aquarium? i have seen most of them just in the sand but i have a fighting chonch in there that i am afraid of it running over the egg. i think the chonch is retarded. if its not easy to reach he will get there no matter what he has to plow over to do it. lol oh and btw i have alot more expiriennce than i put down i have about 15yrs expirience with fw and about three yrs with salt. i have just had my current aquarium set up for about a year. also me and my dad live together and he has had 30+ years of salt and fw aquariums. he has also owned three sharks but he never hatched them thats why im here. im sorry it was misleading. oh and also srry about your shark sharkie thats so sad : (

Last edited:
i'd keep him on a clip, just because it allows you to check on the shark everyday and it keeps unwanted critters from checking out the egg.... you probably have some hitchhikers you dont know about (snails, bristles, others etc) that might eat their way into the egg case and cause the shark to die.

keep your snails in check, they WILL try and clean the "algae" off the egg case... which is not actually algae, its part of the case (cool fact, its made outta the same stuff as your toenails! LOL).. I kept algae sheets in mine just in case beause my turbos would start cleaning it at night... itkeeps them occupied and away from the egg.

be sure to pinch the end of the case, mostly where its pinched in the back, and how long did you acclimate the case? i did mine for almost 8 hours to get him all situated... just to be safe since the water is so much different than what hte LFS would most likely have.

good luck with this guy, they are pretty neat to have but also for the advanced aquarist... i didn't go for one until AFTER seven years of experience with just sharks lol.

btw, what its the temp of your tank? and can you post pics? :) i can prolly tell you how old it is and how long you have until it'll hatch with those facts :)

ok ill try to get a clip. i actually only have two snails that i have seen in the tank but id rather not have it get killed by a snail or like you said any other hitch hikers.

i acclimated mine for about 3 hours but i try to keep my water about the same as my lfs because i only shop at one store and i know the owners there so i figure the closer i can keep it the better.

i will try to snap some pics i dont think its gonna hatch for a while though it looks kinda like a little worm in there.but i can see some of its head in there depending on where it sits. my miniolta just broke though so all i have is a camera phone until its fixed.

my temp stays about 75 i have a chiller on the tank to keep it from getting to hot.

what do you mean pinch the end of the case?

the shark is about 3in and i cant really tell any distinguishing features except for the eyes right now. no fins or anything else like that.

Last edited:
at the end of the egg case there is a spot that looks like a U (or should look sorta curved in), thats the side you want to hook the clip to. most likely the shark is not going to try and hatch out of that side because its thicker than the other due to the layers of the casing.

75 its a little cold for a baby shark, bamboo cat sharks (which is more than likely what it'll be) live in the tropical regions where water is around 78-82degrees.. i have my tank at a nice warm 79degrees when i hatched it.

3 inches it pretty big, it should start developing very fast, in fact you'll prolly have a full grown 6inch baby hatchling in 1-1 1/2 months. thats about all mine took at 2 inches. the eyes are hte first to develop follows by fins and all that fun stuff :)

camera phone is still good! its a neat thing to photograph and watch progress :) its good that you keep your water the same as the LFS, it makes things easier...

and i just noticed youre from CO.. you have a chiller in CO??! lol i wouldn't think that would be nesscessary since CO is like... snow heaven!

ok i will put the clip there im about to leave for the lfs to get one pretty soon. i thought you ment just pinch it there with my fingers for some reason thats why i was confused. lol

ok i will turn up my heater. i didnt really know the temp that is recommended thanks for the info.

i just tried to take a video with my phone of it but you cant really see anything so i will try something better later we have a video camera that i dont really have any experience with but i will try.

believe it or not the room i have my tank is often gets up to about 90 F because it is my theater room with alot of electronics in it. also the chiller was on the tank when i got it so i just use it and dont complain. :D yeah i know where grand junction is ltljoker. im in golden though so it is a little drive. lol

ok sharkie here ya go i got a video of my little shark but it wasnt easy. lol i took the video shining a flashlight at the egg cause my lights had just gone out. oh and the background noise is how its made pretty sweet show!:mrgreen:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9HMAEoZfJU[/ame]

i updated my video so if the other one doesnt work here is the new link.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCBc1D4_-Y&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

oh my goodness he is super tiny! :D soooo cute! :)

i'd say you've got around 3 months or so for it to hatch :) hes really active too, thats a good thing with eggs.... typicaly non-active babies are dying/dead and will rot inside the case...

as it gets bigger it will move less and less, which is normal but be sure to check everyday to make sure that its gills are moving... if not you will have to preform the infamous "shark CPR" which in reality is only very very gently squeezing hte sharks middle section every 2 seconds until it starts moving its giils again... babies have trouble breating sometimes so its usually a good idea to keep on eye on it as he gets bigger... i think i did it 5 or 6 times on my shark

Back