Silicone

Melanie

Reefing newb
So I've gotten this 120 gallon tank now and I'm stuck in a pickle... Do I redo the silicone or not? The tank was used and has been kept dry for 6 months. Prior to that it was use for african chiclids and was custom made by a rliable fish store in my area. The last time I purchased a used fishtank (although I was verrry naive and somewhat uneducated) I didn't redo it and it ended up leaking like crazy after being filled for four weeks. After the leak of course I inspectedthe silicone and discovered it to be in horrible shape. It was brittle and chewed up (the guy had rodents in the tank). The silicone in the 120 however is very smoothly done, has no blemishes and is very rubbery to the touch. The term "better safe than sorry" keeps coming up in my head but something tells me i'll do more harm than good if I start hacking away at the silicone. I'm doing a leak test at the moment in my garage and so far so good. Any opinions?

If everything looks good, and it's not leaking I would just set it up and enjoy your new tank.

If it was made by a local store give them a call. They might even want to see it and take pictures...A free ad is better then a complaint

Back